Zooming In/Out Buttons Are Grayed Out

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FMP Pro Adv 13.0 v1

Operating system version

Windows 8.1

Description of the issue

I've been using FMP 13 Advanced for several months creating mostly 1000x700px layouts. I've always been able to zoom in or out until recently. Yesterday, I created a layout using for the iPhone. 

The zoom level says, "100%" but I've noticed that I can no longer zoom in or out...the "+" and "-" are both grayed out.

Steps to reproduce the problem

If I open a different file or create a brand new one, things are okay. But every time I go back to that particular file, I can't zoom.

I obviously closed and reopened the file.  I've tried closing the program and relaunching.  Even tried restarting the computer.  All without success.

zoom.png

• 1. Re: Zooming In/Out Buttons Are Grayed Out
          Markus Schneider

- There is no script in action? A script that sets the zoom - with the option 'locked' (or similar, no english system here)

- this is the only misbehavior with this file?

• 2. Re: Zooming In/Out Buttons Are Grayed Out
            Markus Schneider

- There is no script in action? A script that sets the zoom - with the option 'locked' (or similar, no english system here)

- priviledges could be a factor. Does it happen with full access?

- this is the only misbehavior with this file? (Could be that there is a problem with th file)

• 3. Re: Zooming In/Out Buttons Are Grayed Out
              Markus Schneider

** Sorry for typing mistakes, etc. - but it's impossible to edit postings on iPad here

• 4. Re: Zooming In/Out Buttons Are Grayed Out
                BrianWoods

Thanks for the reply Markus.

This seems to be the only issue I've come across.

There are only "design" features at this point....so my database really lacks any kind of functionality.

I have not added any scripts nor added/modified privileges.  I've inserted some fields, mostly text fields.  There are some basic calculations....but nothing that should get me into any trouble.

• 5. Re: Zooming In/Out Buttons Are Grayed Out
                  philmodjunk

Look for a script added for you by FileMaker. When you use the new layout wizard to create a new file and specify that it is for an iOS device, FileMaker inserts a script and OnLayoutEnter script trigger that locks the zoom. This is annoying as you can end up with identical scripts for every new layout thus created, but locking the zoom is more often than not the way you want to go with a layout designed for iOS use. It's very easy and annoying to zoom the display through an accidental double tap, for example.

But now that you know the cause of the issue, you can go into layout setup, click the script triggers tab and remove the trigger that performs this lock the zoom script.

• 6. Re: Zooming In/Out Buttons Are Grayed Out
                    BrianWoods

Thanks,  that fixed things. And much obliged for explaining the reasoning behind this kind of functionality.  

I think this is what I'd like to employ once everything is done, because it's much easier to design at higher zoom level.  So I will disable for now then re-employ this once that is behind me.

You (and others) should know that my problem did not stem from a new file (i.e. using the wizard to create a new file from scratch) as I've been working on the same file since June but saving iterations of it each time.  So I was actually using pre-existing file (with 50+ layouts) before adding the iPhone layout.  The iPhone scripts locked the zoom level on ALL the layouts...the new iPhone layouts and the pre-existing ones too.

Anyway, after removing all of the iPhone scripts, the functionality was restored once I closed and reopened the file.