7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2009 6:11 AM by TSGal

[Windows] FileMaker keeps Lock on files

apitire

Summary

[Windows] FileMaker keeps Lock on files

Description of the issue

Summary: On Windows (tested XP + Vista) FileMaker's Save/Send Records as features locks the folder where the file is saved. Users cannot rename a folder after using the Save/Send Records As feature until FileMaker is closed. Steps to Reproduce: Create a 'test' folder on desktopCreate a new dbCreate 1 fieldCreate 1 recordFile -> Save/Send Records As -> PDF (or Excel)Save into 'test' folderGo to desktop and try and rename the 'test' folder to 'test renamed' Actual Result: Folder cannot be renamed - PDF file saved from FM locks the folder Expected Result: Should be able to rename the folder Workaround: Close FileMaker so that lock is released Versions: Test with FileMaker Pro 10.0v3 and FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3

• 1. Re: [Windows] FileMaker keeps Lock on files
          philmodjunk

Easily reproducible.

However, if I save a document from MS Word, I get the same behavior. Perhaps this is an OS issue rather than Filemaker.

• 2. Re: [Windows] FileMaker keeps Lock on files
            apitire
               You're right. One angle I didn't check. Will see what MS has to say.
            • 3. Re: [Windows] FileMaker keeps Lock on files
              TSGal

apitire:

Thank you for your post.

Just to make sure this wasn't a FileMaker Pro problem, I performed the same test on a Macintosh, and I was able to change the folder name after saving as PDF to that folder.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: [Windows] FileMaker keeps Lock on files
                apitire

According to Microsoft it is an application [FileMaker] error. It just happens to be that Office also exhibits the behavior. I have asked Microsoft if they have any details they can share on how it can be avoided (how FileMaker can resolve this issue). Link below goes to the TechNet forum posting where I have asked.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistaapps/thread/66811651-3cb4-45a8-ae45-f8efa353926b

• 5. Re: [Windows] FileMaker keeps Lock on files
                  TSGal

apitire:

Thank you for the link.  Unfortunately, the reply by the Microsoft moderator said that Notepad does not have this behavior.  I disagree.  On my Windows XP machine, I launched Notepad, entered one character, saved the file to the New Folder, and then attempted to change the name of the folder.  The following message appeared:

"Cannot rename New Folder: It is being used by another person or program.  Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."

In any case, I have forwarded the information to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: [Windows] FileMaker keeps Lock on files
                    apitire

That example isn't exactly correct (I think) - probably because of my typo in the original post. The difference being when FileMaker (or Office) saves a file to a folder AND does NOT have that file open (writable) then folder renaming should NOT be blocked. An example of an open and editable file should (probably/likely) NOT allow a rename - the file is writable and if the folder is renamed the path to the file it is currently writing to is changed.

The issue is that FileMaker (or Office) is saving a PDF that it (cannot) doesn't have open (writeable) and blocks a folder from being renamed. Simply saving a file to a folder should NOT block the folder from being renamed.

• 7. Re: [Windows] FileMaker keeps Lock on files
                      TSGal

apitire:

Sorry for the confusion.  I definitely agree that the folder should not be locked.  That is why I forwarded the information to Development and Testing.  I was merely pointing out that the answer provided by the Microsoft Moderator was incorrect.  That is, the same thing occurs when using Notepad.  You have to quit Notepad to rename the folder.

I will post again when I receive information from our testers.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.