1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 20, 2012 2:02 PM by disabled_JackRodgers

3G Data Usuage

ElizabethHillier

Title

3G Data Usuage

I apologise in advance as I know this is a bit of a ''how long is a piece of string'' question but..

We are in the process of testing a new filemaker system through go on iPads, and one of our testers is going to a site abroad. As we are just testing we are yet to take out any 3G contracts and instead are tethering through an iPhone. We have been told that being abroad we will be charged per MB, and so in order to gauge roughly what the overall cost is going to be I wondered if anybody had any idea roughly how much data is used per day.

There are a few single table databases being used - One has 2 container fields per record for photos taken using the iPad camera, and the others have 1 container for signatures. It is going to be used almost continually throughout an 8 hour shift.

Thank you in advance for any help at all, as I said I understand this is a bit of a strange and possibly impossible question to answer!

• 1. Re: 3G Data Usuage

Photos over 3G? Better take out a mortgage...

First take a photo and determine its size. You may find you are using 2 or 5 or so Megabytes per picture....

BUT...Fiemaker 12 let's you make a thumbnail of that photograph reducing its image size and file size.

Assuming the file will be on the local IOS device abroad. Then that device could send a record with a smaller thumbnail rather than the full image file in the container field. Later the image could be tranmitted over a regular cable connection at lower cost.

This per megabyte charge for non-citizens or those without a 2 year contract is a real rip off.

You might look into acquiring a resident contract rather than the per megabyte.