4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2013 10:29 AM by schamblee

Ability to easily move  program and data between Go and Pro without constant connection

bigjohn888jb

Title

Ability to easily move  program and data between Go and Pro without constant connection

I am currently trying to learn and understand how to use FileMaker Pro advanced, FileMaker server, and FileMaker Go.  What I need is some input on how to do the following:

Run a database on Filemaker Go, to take orders without being connected to the internet.

To then take the orders and send them into corporate.

To be able to update the invoicing program without overwriting the orders taken prior to the update.

I’m dealing with reps who have various degrees of computer abilities, so it would be nice to have one button to send in orders without adding any information.  Also it would be desirable to “harvest” the orders without someone needing to be available to open emails.

We are currently doing this with Visual Foxpro and Dropbox. Take an order, hit one button, order is zipped and put into dropbox. Corporate scans the dropboxs, finds the new orders and automatically pulls them in.

When the user starts the remote program, it checks dropbox, if it finds any updates, it auto moves them into the program.  No user action needed.

This all takes place on laptops. What we would like to do is be able to use ipads and iphones  to do the same thing.  Server sync seems like it could get the orders, but dropbox is more convenient since it will auto send once it has a good internet connection.  Any direction would be appreciated.