4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2014 9:48 AM by philmodjunk

Access keyboard to use Find Operators in FM Go.

rouelf_1

Title

Access keyboard to use Find Operators in FM Go.

As I understand we should be able to use Find Operators in FM Go, using Enter Find Mode. However, how do we access the keyboard to use the operators ?  When I Enter Find Mode, I get a simple numeric keyboard, that does not allow selecting operators. So, what is the trick ?  Need use operators such as:  <, >, >=, ...

• 1. Re: Access keyboard to use Find Operators in FM Go.
          philmodjunk

You may want to add a find button, that when tapped changes to a layout where you have one method or another set up for entering the needed operators.

In FileMaker Pro, you can select the keyboard to be used with a given field when you enter that field on the iOS device so you can specify a different keyboard for the field where you need to enter the operators. (See the Behavior section of the Inspector's data tab in FileMaker 13.) You can also put buttons on your layout that insert these operators for you.

You may also want to set up such a layout with global text fields where the user specifies their find criteria while in browse mode and then a script sets up the criteria in one or more find requests and finds the records. See this thread for some examples of this type of scripted find: Scripted Find Examples

• 2. Re: Access keyboard to use Find Operators in FM Go.
            rouelf_1

Phil, holly cow, I can work with your suggestions; however, that cant be what Filemaker intended when they say the Find Operators can be use in FM Go. Specially when trying to set find criteria manually in FM Go.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Access keyboard to use Find Operators in FM Go.
              rouelf_1

OK, problem solved. In Filemaker:

1) Select "Layout Mode", Select "Inspector", Select "Data" tab.

2) Select all fields in the layout, In the "Behavior" area under "Touch Keyboard Type" select "System Default".

3) Do above for all layouts where "Find" maybe used in FM Go. In FM Go, when "Enter Find Mode" is selected, the default keyboard appears, and "find operators" can be used to manually set search criteria.

• 4. Re: Access keyboard to use Find Operators in FM Go.
                philmodjunk

That works, but it's not how I would do it as I'd want the right keyboard to use for data entry tasks and the more general keygoard for operator assisted searches of the database.

Being able to link the keyboard preference to a specific window mode might make a very good feature request: http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html