1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 18, 2011 10:40 PM by cmaitland@mindspring.com

accessing a folder over a network.

fluffyone

Title

accessing a folder over a network.

Hi Group

on my desktop pc databse I have set a button on a form so that it opens up a window and goes to a folder to show the files in the folder.
      I have also set it to open a perticuler folder based on the record number in the form. ( I have a main folder called files and in this folder there is lots of folders all named with a letter and a number i.e A22990, A22991, A22992 etc..)

and it works well when the button is clicked the window opens and the correct folder is displayed with it's contents.

the main folder is on a server but the actual database is on another pc and this is a hosted file shared via another pc and a ipad.
      on the hosted pc all works well as the address to the folder is via a mapped network drive so the adress i am using is somthing like:

"U:\mainfolder\" and then the additional code to open up the right one for the current record.

but this only works on the host pc that has the mapped network drive, the other pc and ipad cant find the files. the address at the server is:

\\MYSERVER\myData\mainfolder   

when I use this firstly filmaker drops the first \ so there is only one at the front and secondly it doesn't work?

can anyone indicate how to get this working please? and in perticular get it working on the ipad.

Regards Fluffy

• 1. Re: accessing a folder over a network.
          cmaitland@mindspring.com

Hi,

Your main issue is the mapped drive.  Since the iPad does not yet have the ability to handle mapped drives or 'network places' you will have to use an absolute path back to your network location. Once you have this absolute path just use:

Windows: "filewin:/" & the_absolute_path

Macintosh: "filemac:/" & the_absolute_path

Best Regards,

Charlie (FMBiz.net)