8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2012 3:32 PM by dinora

Accessing my database using FM Go

dinora

Title

Accessing my database using FM Go

I am new at the FM Go.  From what I understood I could download the app into my ipad which I did.  From here I can open my  database that resides on my home computer remotely using the Ipad. 

This works perfectly assuming I am on the same wireless network which is at home.  However I lets say I go to a different wireless network, I am not being able to open the database remotely.  

Could this be because my database at home is not actually on a filemaker server?  I am using it as a standalone database. 

Please clarify if you can.

Thanks

Dinora  

• 1. Re: Accessing my database using FM Go
          MarkSimlo

Same problem here exactly - I hope someone can help us both.  I'm fairly sure its a port forwarding issue but might be wrong.

Mark

• 2. Re: Accessing my database using FM Go
            TSGal

Dinora and Mark Simlo:

Thank you for your posts.

If you are not on the same Wi-Fi network, then use the static IP Address of the host computer and connect remotely via 3g.  Make sure port 5003 is open.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Accessing my database using FM Go
              dinora

Hi TSGal,

I am little confused.

1.- I have the filemaker Go on my IPAD, but the ipad does not have a 3G Plans basically I connect to wireless networks when away from home and need to use.  So if I understand you correctly, I will not be able to connect to the database using the IPAD unless I am on my home wireless network.  Please confirm

2.- I also have the FM Go app on my I-Phone.  I have turned wi fi off and I am trying to connect but it keeps asking me for a file name following the ip address that I typed.

3.- Where do I make sure port 5003 is open.  Kindly clarify

Thanks in advance

Dinora

• 4. Re: Accessing my database using FM Go
                MarkSimlo
                 Hi Dinora, I'm using the same setup as you and I've got it working outside of my wireless network. I posted a question in the GO forum and then wrote the solution below it as I found the answer before anyone had answered. Take a look at my post and you'll see the solution. Cheers Mark
                • 5. Re: Accessing my database using FM Go
                  dinora

Hi Mark,

I got it and the solution worked.  I had to open the port 5003 on my router to the ip of my computer.  On FM Go you must use the ip of the router just like you mention on your solution.

One doubt still remains for TS Gal, If my IPAD only connects to the internet via wireless network then this means I will not be able to acces the database at home when outside of my network.  Or with the change I just did by opening up port 5003 the IPAD will be able to connect via a wireless network (Any network)

I know I can test it next time I am out, but please clarify.

Thanks

Dinora  

• 6. Re: Accessing my database using FM Go
                    MarkSimlo

Hi ya,

I have iPad wifi only and an iphone 4 like you and yes you can access the database's over 3G and also if you're on anyone else's wireless network too.

The crazy thing in this is that the problem we (and LOTS of others) are having is probably the main reason why anyone would buy GO in the first place and you'd think Filemaker tech support would make it as easy as falling off a log to set up but it seems there are no simple clear instructions - other than mine!!!!

I'm just a user with the same problem as you who bothered to share the solution once I found it.  If Filemaker tech support are reading this then they really should be ashamed of themselves.

Glad you got it sorted.

Mark

• 7. Re: Accessing my database using FM Go
                      TSGal

Dinora:

As long as your iPad can connect to the internet, either through Wi-Fi or 3g, then you can connect to your database.  I was under the impression from your initial post that you could only connect via your home Wi-Fi network.  My apologies.

FileMaker Pro uses port 5003 when sharing files.  That port must be open if you are going to connect.

The solution from Mark Simlo is correct, and you can also find this information in Knowledge Base Article #7840 at:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7840

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Accessing my database using FM Go
                        dinora

Thanks TSGal

I got it working now

Regards

Dinora