11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2012 10:02 AM by JamesKlug

adding records to relation

JamesKlug

Title

adding records to relation

I am missing something here... I have created a Database with relationships. The first table gets it's data replaced alot it's a file of registered Beech Aircraft it has a key field that never changes, I have a contact table related to it on the key if I have worked on the aircraft before for another owner I will have a contact record with related invoice records, Plane gets sold new owner call need to add new contact without destroying the old one, how do I add a second contact record.

• 1. Re: adding records to relation
          TSGal

James Klug:

Thank you for your post.

In your Beech Aircraft layout, create a portal into the Owner table and include the Owner Name.  This will show you a listing of owners for the particular Beech Aircraft.  If you go back into Manage Database -> Fields, and select the Relationships tab, double-click the icon that sits between the linking of the two tables.  On the side for the Owner table, check the option "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship".  This will allow you to add records directly into the portal.  In Browse mode, go to the first liine after the last owner, and enter the name of the new owner.  This will then add a record to the Owner Library and automatically assign the same ID to this record.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: adding records to relation
            JamesKlug

TSGal

The Registered owner file never gets it's records changed there is a weekly update that is downloaded on Mondays it starts out with 300,000 plus records I pull 17,000 records from it dump the old table and import the new table. The related Contact table has owner contact info in it like phone numbers and airport where the aircraft is, there is a table related to the contact table with line items for the work requested (these are deleted when invoice for job is created) the invoice line items show in a portal along with the table showing the FAA data registered owner as long as the aircraft is still registered (If this make sense the FAA file may have the owners change or address change or even the tail number but the recordkey is always the same even if the plane is droped out of the file for months, when it comes back in the recordkey is the same)

Beechguyjim

• 3. Re: adding records to relation
              TSGal

James Klug:

I'm a little confused what is the question here...  If records already exist, then youwill need to assign a key field in the contact table that matches the key field in the Aircraft table.  This should then display the appropriate owner(s) in the portal.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: adding records to relation
                JamesKlug

The contact is related to the aircraft key field, If I have never worked on the aircraft the contact is empty and picks up the key when I jump into any of the contact fields, but when the is a old contact not the new owner I can't seem to enter a second new contact, when I click on new record it tries to add a new record to the aircraft file and the contact file the option is turned off in the aircraft file.

Thank Jim

• 5. Re: adding records to relation
                  TSGal

James Klug:

When you select "New Record", it will add a record to the current table; not the related table.  You only need to enter information into the first empty line of the portal (assuming you turned on the option described in my initial reply).

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: adding records to relation
                    JamesKlug

Do you have to use a portal if so can the fields be stacked like below or do the have to be on one line.

First Name           Last Name

Address                                                Phone1

City               State       Zip                   Phone2

Also can you use a PDF form and drop fields on it then print it.

Thanks Agian Jim

• 7. Re: adding records to relation
                      TSGal

James Klug:

The default setting for a portal is one row, but you can size the portal row to a larger height to accommodate three rows.

Yes, yoiu can place fields on top of a PDF form and then print it.  You may also want to set the field borders to None so they don't conflict with the borders on the form itself, and therefore possibly print double lines.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: adding records to relation
                        philmodjunk

Portals make it possible to deal with more than one related child record at a time. If you only have one related child record possible, you do not need the portal, you can add the fields from the related table and edit them just like fields from the layout table--provided "allow creation" is enabled in the relationship.

A portal defaults to a "table like" appearance when created, but you can resize portal rows, and add or reposition fields after the fact to produce the look you show in your last post. You can even set up what looks more like a "miniform view" instead of the default "tableView".

• 9. Re: adding records to relation
                          JamesKlug

Ok

I made a 1, 1 Portal put it under my contacts fields that made it look the same, I checked the box for scroll bar but unlike my other Portals the scroll bar is not showing, Would I be able to scroll down to add a second contact if it's working correctly.

Jim

• 10. Re: adding records to relation
                            philmodjunk

Check to see what border line weight and pattern is specified for your portal. If the line weight is 0 or the line pattern is transparent, the scroll bar will not be visible.

• 11. Re: adding records to relation
                              JamesKlug

PhilModJunk

Thanks that works, but it's not the most elegant way to do it. I am copying a system that I had made twentyfive years ago in Foxpro that was compiled by the guy that help write it I never got all the base code and he died.

Why can't you put a Portal in a Portal? And now I move on to setting up the invoice part.

Thanks again

Jim