6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2015 1:49 PM by TSGal

Alert box to pop up after a set time

scoonz

Title

Alert box to pop up after a set time

I am trying to trigger a script from button that would invoke a pop up message box that would alert the user that it is time to begin the next stage of a survey. 

If anyone has any thought would be much appreciated. 

• 1. Re: Alert box to pop up after a set time
          TSGal

Zabdiel Scoon:

Thank you for your post.

When you create a button, you can either set the button to execute a single script step or an entire script.  From your description, you could just use a single script step "Show Custom Dialog" that would display an alert box letting the user "it is time to begin the next stage of the survey".  If you want the survey to continue automatically, then have a script with "Show Custom Dialog" followed by "Go to Layout", that would take the user to the next layout and set of questions.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Alert box to pop up after a set time
            scoonz

Hi TSGal,

Thanks for the response. I have created a script that will evoke a Dialog box and also using the beep script. So far under testing the Dialog box is only appearing if I remain in Filemaker Go 14. If I am reading an email in Mail the user will not get a notification pop up. I have seen script steps to Mail something or with the iPhone to call someone. Where are the scripts that connect to other Apple app like creating events in Calendar and reminders in Reminders All iOS 8. They must be somewhere, I must be looking in the wrong place. 

Thanks

• 3. Re: Alert box to pop up after a set time
              schamblee

No, you are not looking in the wrong place.  FMGo does not have those settings.   FMGo is like on it third version and the features are limited.   Hopefully in the future several of these type items will be added.

Who knows FMI has made some very unusually software decisions in the pass year,  for example Windows 8 is not support in FMS14 and the runtime my be dropped in the near future from FM.

You can always make a feature request at http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

I read a post last week that there were some issues with the request link.  It would let you type in a request but it would error out when you tried to summit.  Maybe it's fitted by now. 

• 4. Re: Alert box to pop up after a set time
                scoonz

Hi Stacy,

Thanks for the response. I tried to submit a request but it doesn't work. This is what I tried to send. After doing a little fishing around it seems FM Go is not connected to iOS notifications as it is not listed in the notification settings. 

"I'm new to Filemaker and surprised, being a subsidiary of Apple,  there are so few interconnections with native iOS Apple apps. 

These features would allow users to have a greater connection and interactivity with their iOS devices.

Either using data a user has been entered or data created via myself in our small firm via for example enter time when a button is activated on a layout. Without connections to iOS native calendar or reminders apps there is no way a user can interact fully with their device. Without a reminder notification there is no way to ensure a colleague remembers they need to carry out a random test in our production. 
                Regarding calendars there is no way i have come across that allows sales people to create an calendar appointment when they want to visit a client.

How we are trying to setup stuff up..

We have two iPads at present and we have a different database on each. They are not connected to the server. I believe that is called 'locally stored'. It is only when a test is carried out that the user 'Submits' the survey and then sent to the server. That's the plan! 

• 5. Re: Alert box to pop up after a set time
                  schamblee

I agree and hopefully FMI is listen.  TSGAL works for FMI and she will see your post and maybe she will pass it alone.  I was not sure if the feature request was still down or not.    

FMGO does not have syncing either, which would be another nice added feature.  You can store the database on the device and then sent the data by using a import script.  There are system 3rd party syncing system such as GoZync by seedcode and mirrorsync by 360works.  The free option which requires FMS is FMEasySync..  

• 6. Re: Alert box to pop up after a set time
                    TSGal

Zabdiel Scoon:

Our Feature Requests web form is still not work, and there is no estimated time to when it will be working again.  Until then, feel free to post product suggestions to this thread, or to our "Product feedback" board at:

http://forums.filemaker.com/hives/8b17a2e667/summary

I have forwarded your current suggestion to our Development and Product Management departments for review, so they can discuss and consider it for a future release.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.