10 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2014 8:37 PM by appt

Am I banging my head against a brick wall here?

appt

Title

Am I banging my head against a brick wall here?

From the Filemaker Go Development Guide

"You can:

import from a local source into a local database"

Which would be great. All I want to do is send a new copy of a file that is exactly the same as an old file on an iPad save for a couple of new buttons.

But can I get the import step to work on the iPad? Nope.

I know my new database can see and refer to the old one but that last step in my script that is supposed to import from the file does zilch.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Am I banging my head against a brick wall here?
          TSGal

Andy Evans:

Thank you for your post.

Assuming your files are named "NEW" and "OLD", and you want the data from OLD imported into NEW, create a script in the NEW file and name it "Import".  The script should contain one script step:

Import Records [ No dialog ; "OLD.fmp12" ; Add ; Mac Roman ]

Copy both files onto the iPad.

Launch FileMaker Go, open NEW.fmp12 and execute the script.  The data from OLD will be imported.

Let me know if you continue to have difficulty.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Am I banging my head against a brick wall here?
            appt

I wish it were that simple.

Have been using that script step and variations of it for days now trying every setting I can think of but to no avail.

Reading your reply I decided there must be something wrong with my files so created 2 new ones named old and new. Each had only 2 fields a primary key and a name field (the new file was just a copy of the old file).

I then added the extra button and added an import script to that button.

Loaded them up on the iPad and nothing, pressing the button results in no records being imported (I only had 2 in the old file).

Is there any setting on the iPad or within the whole script step that I could have missed which is stopping this from working? If I could get it to work it would save so many headaches.

• 3. Re: Am I banging my head against a brick wall here?
              appt

I should add that it works fine on my desktop (although I have to point it to the file).

• 4. Re: Am I banging my head against a brick wall here?
                philmodjunk

If you specify the file by name in the script step, you should not need to point it to the file when testing the script on your desktop machine.

• 5. Re: Am I banging my head against a brick wall here?
                  appt

I specified the filename with

file:old.fmp12

which works in the iPad (tested with the open file script step)

but won't work on desktop.

This is just so crazily frustrating.

• 6. Re: Am I banging my head against a brick wall here?
                    TSGal

Andy Evans:

I have created two files that you can load onto your iPad.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for contact information.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Am I banging my head against a brick wall here?
                      TSGal

Andy Evans:

On the iPad, the local file is always going to be in the Get (DocumentsPath) path.  This may be different from your desktop computer.  You may want to check what application is accessing the file using Get (ApplicatonVersion).  That way, you can have an import for Go and an import for Pro.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Am I banging my head against a brick wall here?
                        appt

I had seen the get (documents path) stuff before but haven't used it this time as you did not mention it and I was not sure I was coding it or understanding it correctly.

Using the open file script and specifying file:old.fmp12 opens that file on the iPad so I am assuming no extra detail is required in the script step?

Have sent my email address through but have to go and do my real job (teaching) now so won't be able to look at it till later (NZ time doesn't really match up!)

• 9. Re: Am I banging my head against a brick wall here?
                          TSGal

Andy Evans:

Sorry to confuse you.  Using the Open file script will open the file from the FileMaker Go work area.  There is no need to specify a path.

TSGal
                               FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Am I banging my head against a brick wall here?
                            appt

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!

Thank you both for the help. The files you sent worked fine and exactly as expected.

Of course when I went back to my files it was no dice! 

But I persevered, created new version from the ground up and checked them constantly to ensure that the import step was still working.

Once I was convinced I could import data and data from related tables I went back to my originals to try and work out why they were not working.

I think the issue was due to a prevent modification check box on the primary keys. Not 100% certain but I think that is it.

Im amazed this issue hasn't been more thoroughly discussed before as it seems a good way of pushing updates out to people..

Thanks again for all of your help.

Andy