3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2014 12:28 PM by AppGuy

Am I missing something on how Filemaker Go interfaces with data on a server

dblackmon

Title

Am I missing something on how Filemaker Go interfaces with data on a server

I have been playing with Filemaker for a couple of months now and have a question dealing with havering what would be consider a true front end and back end scenario using FilemakerGo

From what I can tell thus far you either have to have the whole database loaded onto the Apple mobile device or host it on FM server or host from your FM Pro application. Each scenario requires the front and back end contained into one file. Kinda like MS Access before  you decide  to split the database apart with the data and ui in two separate files. Coming from a SQL background I find it difficult to have all of my eggs in one basket, because it creates a development and data management nightmare. I know you can use sync methods or connect one database to another that emulates a back end solution.  However the problem remains that if you host your solution on a server it still has to stream everything over a network connection. This creates a painful solution dealing with performance issues over a WAN connection because the GO app seems to be a modified web browser by the way it seems to work.

Is there a way to have just the front end of a FM solution on an iPad that contains all the ui functions and only pass data to and from the FM server over LAN/WAN solutions.

Thank you for your time,

Doug

• 1. Re: Am I missing something on how Filemaker Go interfaces with data on a server
          AppGuy

Doug-

You can use any combination of Hosted, Syncing, Stand alone databases you want.  All that matter is that you are able to get the data back to your hosted server.  We have been using a hosted solution now for over a year and have 350 iPads that sync over Cell (LTE/4G).

If you choose to go hosted for some... the whole solution is hosted.  You can't have an iPad with a half hosted / half sync solution.  You either do one or the other.

When you sync... only the information that needs to sync goes across the wan..

You can have multiple databases if you want to break down each solution..  One database file can be connected to multiple hosted databases.. For instance you could have a database for invoices, one for customers, one for xxxx .. then your could connect them all in the relationships..

JP

• 2. Re: Am I missing something on how Filemaker Go interfaces with data on a server
            dblackmon

Thank you for the response.

if I am understanding you correctly syncing is the only "close" means of having a real time solution with any speed. Which means the data will be stored on the device and synced when the end user chooses to push or pull the data from the server.

If this is the case would it be safe to assume that without using a hosted solution there is no real time data access method for the Go app utilizing a Front and Back solution over a Wan connection.

It just seems to be a waste of bandwidth because you can see the Go app constantly refreshing on a slow connection, if it was only looking for data and letting the app do the leg work it would seem so much beneficial if you needed real time access.

• 3. Re: Am I missing something on how Filemaker Go interfaces with data on a server
              AppGuy

It just seems to be a waste of bandwidth because you can see the Go app constantly refreshing on a slow connection, if it was only looking for data and letting the app do the leg work it would seem so much beneficial if you needed real time access.

This is what syncing is pretty much doing..  I have my app broken into several icons.. users fill out all the forms and syncs on one side..

Then when they want to run reports and etc... they connect to the hosted solution (reports icon)  and run the reports live so they get the latest data..

Like I said earlier.. It's up to you as the developer how you design this...

If you wanted to do syncing for reports you could have the iPad only download the data needed for the report criteria..  so yes you can get live reports with syncing too..  either way you can get what you want..

JP