8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2013 8:03 AM by TSGal

Any way to 'read only' on mobile devices.

SteveMartino

Title

Any way to 'read only' on mobile devices.

Hi, was wondering if there is anyway to just view (read only) on my iphone, ipad.  When I leave the office, I just want to copy my Dbase to my mobile devices, so when I'm on the road I can see customer data.

Currently I'm trying this with dropbox, and snapshot view.  I can get a regular copy to sync, but not a snapshot view. 

I guess, first of all, is snapshot view the right option?

Or considering, the data isnt syncing anyway (just copying to devices) should i just delete the database from the device when I get back to the office.

Also, am I missing a simple way to get the database from FM pro, to my devices, rather than save to dropbox?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Steve

• 1. Re: Any way to 'read only' on mobile devices.
          TSGal

STEVE MARTINO:

Thank you for your post.

One option is to have the file automatically open as a Guest, which defaults to Read Only access privileges.  If you need to make changes, you could then have a script that prompts you for account name and password.

Copying the file via Dropbox is fine, as FileMaker Go will make a copy of the file and place it in the FileMaker Go directory on the iOS device.  You can also use iTunes to move data back and forth.  That is, after making changes to the file with FileMaker Go, when you get back to the office, you can connect to iTunes and move the updated file back onto the computer.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Any way to 'read only' on mobile devices.
            SteveMartino

Thanks TSGal, that really helps...Of course I always need clarification (thick skull), but I think you explained it well.  When you say "One option is to have the file automatically open as a Guest", do you mean in FM Pro, or FM Go?  I'll dig around to see if i can figure it out on my own, if I cant, I'll re-post.

Thanks again

Steve

• 3. Re: Any way to 'read only' on mobile devices.
              TSGal

STEVE MARTINO:

Let me explain in greater details, as I know others have asked this question previously.

First, make sure you have the Guest account active.  That is, pull down the File menu and select "Manage -> Security...".  Click the "Accounts" tab, as this lists all of your accounts.  In the first column is a checkbox for "Active".  By default, a file will have an Admin account Active, and a [Guest] account inactive.  Notice the Privilege Set for [Guest] is set to [Read Only Access].  Enter a checkmark in the Active column for [Guest[.  Click OK to save the changes.  You may receive a dialog box that one or more of the accounts that have Full Access privileges do not have passwords.  At this point, click "Allow", and then when prompted for Full Access Account, enter: Admin  with no password and click OK.

Now that you have an active guest account, we can set this file to open automatically with the Guest account (therefore, read only).  To do this, pull down the File menu and select "File Options..."  Under the "Open" tab, "When opening this file", there is probably a check mark next to "Log in Using" with it set to Account Name and Password, with Account: Admin and no password.  Change this to "Guest Account", and click OK.  You will then get a dialog box that says "This file will be opened automatically using the specified account.  To use a different account, hold down the Option key (Mac OS) or Shift key (Windows) while opening the file."  Therefore, when you open this file on a Mac, hold down the option key to have the Account Name and Password appear (where you enter Admin with no password).  When you open this file in FileMaker Go, you don't get that option, so the file will open with the Guest account, and therefore be read only.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Any way to 'read only' on mobile devices.
                SteveMartino

Thanks again TSGal...that did the trick :)

• 5. Re: Any way to 'read only' on mobile devices.
                  jackien

What script would you create to get the log on screen to pop up every time you open the database?

• 6. Re: Any way to 'read only' on mobile devices.
                    TSGal

Jackie Norstrom:

Thank you for your post.

You don't need a script to have users log in.  In FileMaker Pro, pull down the File menu and select "File Options...".  In the File Options window that appears, click the "Open" tab.  Uncheck the option "Log in using:", and click OK.  The next time you open the file, you will be prompted to enter and Account Name and Password.

Please let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Any way to 'read only' on mobile devices.
                      jackien

Additional clarification would be wonderful. I followed your instructions and I didn't get a pop up box asking me to log on. It just opened up the database for me.

• 8. Re: Any way to 'read only' on mobile devices.
                        TSGal

Jackie Norstrom:

No problem.

1. In FileMaker Pro 12 , pull down the File menu and select "File Options...".

2, In the File Options window that appears, click the "Open" tab.

3. There will be two checkboxes under "When opening this file".  Uncheck the first checkbox "Log in using:".  Click OK.

4. Close the file.

5. Reopen the file, and you will be prompted for the Account Name and Password.

6. Pull down the File menu and select "Sharing -> FileMaker Network...".

7. Turn on "Network Sharing".

8. In the bottom left quadrant, select the file under "Currently open files", and on the right side, set the file Network access to "All users".  Click OK.

9. Launch FileMaker Go, tap the icon to the right of "Remote Files and Hosts", and select the host.

10. The window will change displaying all the hosted databases.  Tap the desired database file.  You will then be prompted for the Account Name and Password.

11. If you want to use the file locally, then close the file in FileMaker Pro, launch iTunes, select your iOS device, click the Apps tab, scroll to the bottom and select FileMaker Go, and copy the database file into the list of files so you can then open it on  your iOS device.

Let me know if any of the above steps fail.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.