1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 25, 2010 6:28 AM by TSGal

Auto fill

RyleySmithson

Title

Auto fill & count

Hi, I posted this in the bento forum but was told that it doesnt really suit my needs. I havent purchased FM or Bento yet.

I'm using my ipad to collect data from customers on location - i have set up a simple form with all the data needed and it works perfectly. I wanted to know if there is a way that I can have the customer enter their phone number (this is what I am using as their unique customer ID) and if their data is present in the system it will auto fill the rest of the form.

Also wanted to have a button or checkbox that could be checked to log the amount of times a customer returns so I can identify my regulars.

If there is a tute or video that address' these please link me, its been a while since i've used Access or any DB so its all a bit fresh.

cheers

Ryley

• 1. Re: Auto fill & count
          TSGal

Ryley Smithson:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro does have a way to lookup information (based on a key field) and populate other fields.  Bento does not have this ability.

In FileMaker Pro, you can create a button that can be programmed to log the number of times a customer returns.

I don't know of a direct video, but there is a tutorial along with our user manuals online.  Go to:

http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/documentation.html

Click on FileMaker Pro 11 and download the Tutorial sample file and you can view the Tutorial PDF.  Also, check out the User's guide at:

http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/fmp/fmp11_users_guide.pdf

Look at page 106 for the section "About lookups".

A 30-day trial version of FileMaker Pro is also available at www.filemaker.com so you can use the tutorial.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.
          You can download a tutorial file at: