1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2015 7:00 AM by TSGal

Auto-Capitalize first letter on iPad

AndrewFoo

Title

Auto-Capitalize first letter on iPad

Is there any way to get the first letter of a field to autocapitalize?

I have the auto-caps setting enabled on the ipad, but it doesn't seem to be working with FM Go

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Auto-Capitalize first letter on iPad

Andrew Foo:

Thanks for posting!

You can do this with an auto-enter calculation on the field. First, open the file in FileMaker Pro and head to File -> Manage -> Database. In there, select the field you want to auto-capitalize the first letter of and choose options. On the first tab in the options screen (named auto-enter), enable the checkbox labeled "Calculated value". This should bring up a Specify Calculation dialog. In here we'll use this calculation (just change FieldName to the name of the field you're enabling this option for):

Upper(Left(FieldName; 1)) & Right(FieldName; Length(FieldName) - 1)

This will take the first character in FieldName, change it to upper case and then append the rest of FieldName, unchanged, to the end. Once done, click Ok to get back to the options screen and uncheck the "Do not replace existing value (if any)" value. 

Let me know if you'd like any clarification on the above.

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Auto-Capitalize first letter on iPad
            brutuswa

That works well, Andrew, thanks.

What if you want all words capitalized?

Brett

• 3. Re: Auto-Capitalize first letter on iPad
              TSGal

brutuswa:

Thank you for your post.

Change the calculation above to:

Upper ( FieldName )

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Auto-Capitalize first letter on iPad
                CameronL.

Thank you for these helpful tips!

I was wondering, how might I capitalize the first letters of names in a street address when it begins with a house number? For example, I'd like to make sure "1600 pennsylvania ave."  becomes formatted to "1600 Pennsylvania Ave."

I think it's a more complex problem because some streets have variable word-length names (e.g. Elm St. has 2, San Pablo Ave. has 3, or even North Oak Tree Dr. has 4).

I've been trying to use the Filter function to ignore numbers by using Let ( address = Filter ( Address_Street1 ; "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz" ) ; )

but this hasn't gotten me very far yet. Plus I feel it's quite heavy-handed. Is there a better way?

• 6. Re: Auto-Capitalize first letter on iPad
                  philmodjunk

Try setting a text format on the field of "title" case and see how that works for you.

• 7. Re: Auto-Capitalize first letter on iPad
                    CameronL.

I actually started from scratch and looked at some other functions. I found (at least in FM12?) there's an Upper() function that automatically capitalizes the first letter of each word in the parens.

Thank you for your suggestion though! Hope this can help someone else.

• 8. Re: Auto-Capitalize first letter on iPad
                      SheldonKing

Auto-enter calculations are all well and good, but FileMaker Go doesn't appear to honour iOS standard behaviour of setting the shift key at the beginning of a sentence. An auto-enter calc doesn't mimic iOS behaviour as it won't make the change until the record is committed.

From the feedback I'm getting from clients, this inconsistency looks like a bug.

Has anyone had any direct feedback from FileMaker on this?

• 9. Re: Auto-Capitalize first letter on iPad
                        TSGal

Sheldon King:

Thank you for your post.

Currently, it is designed this way as entering the data as-is is important, and data input should be consistent across FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Go.  I recommend you enter this as a suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form populate a database file that is hosted and monitored by our Development and Product Management departments, where each entry is discussed and considered for a future release.  Although I could copy the posts and paste them into the web form, there are some questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Auto-Capitalize first letter on iPad
                          SheldonKing

Thanks for the response!

> entering the data as-is is important, and data input should be consistent across FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Go

From my experience, I'd have to respectfully disagree. It's like saying that the menus and windows in the Windows version of FileMaker should behave the same way as the Mac version does (if only!).  It would also only hold if other features like the auto-apostrophisation and period entry were also not implemented.

When designing Go apps as an extension of existing mature FileMaker solutions, the arguement that the user experience should be consistent across platforms loses water pretty fast once you start testing. User expectation appears to be that things that are running on a given platform exhibit the behaviour of  all the other apps that that they use.

This particular issue highlights this well, because a touch keyboard is different than a physical keyboard. Typing with one hand is different than typing with two.

The manifestation of this issue is that we're seeing lots of uncapitalised sentences and proper names in data entry, which is frustrating users of the main systems.

I would certainly classify this as a bug, and will submit accordingly.

• 11. Re: Auto-Capitalize first letter on iPad
                            brutuswa

Just as a side issue, I eventually got the auto capitalisation working, don't ask me how but I turned it off.

When I enter a record, most times I send an email of the quote or confirmation, via a Send Email script and guess what?  The Auto capitalised fields are entered into the email, uncapitalised!!!

Makes for a unprofessional look :(

So I turned off the auto capitalisation so that I know when a word is actually apitalised and will go into the email, capitalised.

Also have a problem with rounding the calculations to whole dollars.  When setting the field to zero percentage points, in the email, the cents appear???

• 12. Re: Auto-Capitalize first letter on iPad
                              TSGal

brutuswa:

I am unable to replicate the issue.  I have set up a Text field "Name" with the Auto-enter Calculated value option:

Proper ( Name )

I have unchecked the Checkbox "Do not replace existing value of field (if any)".  This makes sure the data is replaced.

I also set up a Number field "Amount" with the Auto-enter Calculated value option:

Round ( Amount ; 0 )

Again, I have unchecked the Checkbox "Do no replace existing value of field (if any)".

When I enter "TSGal" into Name, the result is "Tsgal".  When I enter 5.4321 into Amount, the result is 5.  When I then export the record to PDF, the information displays properly.  When I use Name and Amount as fields in the Message portion of the email, the email displays "Tsgal 5".

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you, and I'll try to replicate the issue here.

TSGal
                                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Auto-Capitalize first letter on iPad
                                fysio2008

I can´t get this one to work?

There is a problem with a )

If I place it in the end: Upper(Left(FieldName; 1)) & Right(FieldName; Length(FieldName) - 1)) it cuts of letters of the word.

Anyone?

• 14. Re: Auto-Capitalize first letter on iPad
                                  fysio2008

I got it to worksmiley

I don´t know what happended since I could not get it to work. I tried again and it work perfectly. Thank you.

If I may ask here: How can I get it to start each line with a capitalized letter, if I for instance have a text field with multiple lines?

1 2 Previous Next