13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2011 8:17 AM by disabled_JackRodgers

Auto-Restore Login not working

LambdaEnt

Title

Auto-Restore Login not working

I have read this document:
      http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-go/docs/fmgo_development.pdf

fmrestorelogin is set in my database, yet I am asked every time to re-enter my user name and password when opening it on my iPhone with FMG 1.1.2

Contrary to that document, there is no password setting in the "File Options" dialog, only a field for user name.

• 1. Re: Auto-Restore Login not working
          himistu22

LambdaEnt,

I ran into this problem and it was a combination of issues. The first one was an issue with the previous Go. That has been worked out. You went into Extended Priv. right and added that fmrestorelogin, right?

Now go back in and make sure in the privilege sets that that extended priv., fmrestorelogin is checked for the accounts you want to use it for. Just adding it to the extended priv area doesn't add it to a user or their priv. setup.

• 2. Re: Auto-Restore Login not working
            LambdaEnt

Yes, it is checked.

• 3. Re: Auto-Restore Login not working
              davidhead

Hi LambdaEnt

I think I know what you are trying to do but first be aware that the Auto-Restore Login option and the fmrestorelogin extended privilege control slightly different things.

Also, the File Options dialog (accessed through FileMaker Pro not Go) does have auto login options with account name and password.

So to be clear, if you open Settings in FileMaker Go, you can turn on Auto-Restore Login. When this is turned on, when FileMaker Go returns from hibernation, it will not ask you if you want to re-open databases that were open when Go closed. But it may still prompt you for an account and password.

If you do not want to be prompted, you must have been logged in with an account that uses a privilege set with the fmrestorelogin extended privilege. Double-check the spelling of that extended privilege and that it is all lowercase.

So, let's say you first open a database in FileMaker Go and you are prompted for an account name and password. You log in with an account that uses a privilege set with the fmrestorelogin extended privilege. Now you press the Home button causing FileMaker Go to hibernate. When you re-open FileMaker Go, you will get prompted to restore the open databases only if the setting for Auto-Restore Login is off. Otherwise, FileMaker Go will automatically open and restore the database from last session.

Does that make sense?

TS_Oz, FileMaker Inc.

• 4. Re: Auto-Restore Login not working
                LambdaEnt

Yes, that maks sense, and I completely understand. You are NOT talking to a novice here. I have been programming in FileMaker for over 20 years.

The Filemkaer Go document referenced above mentions such a "File Options" dialog, which I altready stated does not have said fields. There is an options page which does have a current user name.

You have severely complicated this issue.

The login in question has Full-Access, and fmrestorelogin has been addded and checked.

I simply want to NOT be prompted for a name and password ever again after entering it once, and being logged into a file in FMGo.

• 5. Re: Auto-Restore Login not working
                  davidhead

I had assumed that you had experience with FileMaker Pro but I was also writing to fully explain the process for anyone else with less experience reading this thread. My comments were not meant to be demeaning of your experience or to complicate the issue, but rather to be complete to check all settings. Apologies if you took that the wrong way.

On which page is the reference to the "File Options" dialog? If it is page 10, then it is referring to FileMaker Pro (File > File Options). The "options page" you are referring to is Settings within FileMaker Go.

So, just to confirm, you are saying that you have the following options set:

1. In FileMaker Go - Settings - Auto-Restore Login is ON
                  2. In FileMaker Pro - File > Manage > Security - the account belongs to a privilege set that has the extended privilege fmrestorelogin
                  3. In FileMaker Pro - File > File Options - the Log in Using option is unchecked

And one other thing occurs to me when writing this - the above options relate to databases that have been hibernated rather than properly closed. When you finish using your database, are you closing it or just closing FileMaker Go with the Home button?

TS_Oz, FileMaker Inc.

• 6. Re: Auto-Restore Login not working
                    LambdaEnt

All 3 confirmed

Page 10
                    File opening and closing behavior
                       Bullet point 2

• 7. Re: Auto-Restore Login not working
                      LambdaEnt

I am both closing as well as hibernating.

I have another database that asked me for a login once, and has NEVER asked for it again. It has the same settings, and same user name, as the problem database.

That is how I want it to operate.

I use these databases all day long. I don't want to have to enter my user name and password every time I reopen it. DOn't tell me just to hibernate, it WILL occisionally be closed. I want the name and password to be remembered.

• 8. Re: Auto-Restore Login not working
                        davidhead

OK, so the document is referring to FileMaker Pro (File > File Options). The "options page" you are referring to is Settings within FileMaker Go.

The other thing was this - the above options relate to databases that have been hibernated rather than properly closed. When you finish using your database, are you closing it or just closing FileMaker Go with the Home button?

TS_Oz, FileMaker Inc.

• 9. Re: Auto-Restore Login not working
                          davidhead

If the database is closed, FileMaker Go will always revert to the standard security settings for the file. In your case, that will probably be to prompt for an account name and password. The only option there, as you know, is to set the File Options (in FileMaker Pro) to auto login with the desired account. But that basically bypasses all security.

There is no standard option (in FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Go) to prompt a user once for account credentials and then never ask again on that device.

I would expect that, with the current settings, your database will not ask you to log in if FileMaker Go is hibernated but it will ask if the database file has been closed.

TS_Oz, FileMaker Inc.

• 10. Re: Auto-Restore Login not working
                            LambdaEnt

Ok, I see now the file that was working did have "File Option...Log in using:" checked, the other did not.

However, I was not enering a user name and password when opening the file on my Mac. Perhaps it was saved in the Keychain?

Is there no way to have FMGo on my iPhone/iPad remember the login, as it does on one's desktop?

• 11. Re: Auto-Restore Login not working
                              Fotowork2

The analogy to the desktop computer is flawed above.  If I leave my filemaker DB open on my desk, anyone can access it, unless I lock my screen when I am away from my desk.  But while I am working,I am able to cross reference info in other programs on the desktop without re-loging in to Filemaker every time I switch back.   I think that we should have a window of at least 5 minutes to go back to FM GO without any log in prompt.  No asking for Passwords again within the 5 min window.

In fact I really doubt that anyone on the FM GO team is using password protected databases on FM GO in their own lives.   The situation is terrible.   We need true multi tasking, and the ability to make phone calls and answer email without having to enter passwords every time we change back.  Please FM GO team, tell me you have tried using your own password protected FM database at home and been forced to deal with either no security at all, or no reasonable multi tasking.

• 12. Re: Auto-Restore Login not working
                                himistu22

Fotowork2, I don't agree with that. I do know that filemaker on desktop has that flaw and lots of us over the years have worked around that. But if you understand how iOS works and how the connection must be stable so the data isn't currupted, then you know that the current state of iOS can't do that. Mike P. has some good ideas that I am currently working... putting a client file that access data on the main system on the server so loading times are fast. It seems to work really well. Also, re-working the scripts to run on the server rather than the client machine.

• 13. Re: Auto-Restore Login not working

I am not having any similar problems using the iPod Touch and a 4G connection using a Comcast MiFi hotspot and wifi with my Laptop connected to the Internet with a Comcast cable connection (no wifi).

All of my files using the same password can be opened without a password via a script or button. None of them close when I 'exit' Filemaker to open another app and there is no relogin asked when I return.

So it is not a networking issue but one tied to the phone in the iPhone and using a cellular connection rather than a direct connection or wifi connection. Wifi does not seem to cause the problems I have read here.

I have had numerous problems over the years using 2G and 3G and Filemaker Pro even to the point of corrupting databases I have opened remotely. These problems were caused by the telco dropping my connections and reconnecting as it does with cell phone calls, not by Filemaker.

It is not unexpected for Filemaker Server to drop a connection after xx minutes and increasing your default drop time in your server might help. But if the Telco is dropping the connection you will have to relogin.

IWP might be an alternative to Go but it is a pain and also lacks GO's feature set.

Note: it is interesting that I can acess my laptops files both as a local connection and an internet connection at the same time when I have a both wifi and ethernet connections open on the laptop. Using Go I can open simulataneously the local copy, the hosted wifi file and the hosted file over the Internet.