14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2011 11:07 AM by alc

Automatic Login for FM GO ~ Bug?

DrewHoffman

Title

Automatic Login for FM GO ~ Bug?

When connecting to a filemaker database hosted on a FM11 server via FM Go I get prompted to login w/ username and password. The database is set up to autologin now, and works (does not prompt) when on a mac or pc client. Does anyone know what is going on? 

Thanks

• 1. Re: Automatic Login for FM GO ~ Bug?
          Crispin

How are you setting it to auto login? Using the file preferences. Also does your file reference another?

• 2. Re: Automatic Login for FM GO ~ Bug?
            DrewHoffman

The file is set w/ autologin on the file pref. setting under the menu bar. Yes it does open other files, but those too have the same autolog in w/ the same username and account so it should not pop up. Keep in mind when opening from a mac or PC worksations w/ filemaker pro it does not ask for login. 

• 3. Re: Automatic Login for FM GO ~ Bug?
              TSGal

Drew Hoffman:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the problem.  I have files on FileMaker Server that are all referenced, and when I enter an Account name and password, it is transferred to all the other files being opened.

Are all the hosted files in the same directory?  Are all the files referenced by name or by a pathname?  Anything you can provide to help me replicate the problem would be appreciated.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Automatic Login for FM GO ~ Bug?
                DrewHoffman9153

There is 50 files all linked together all w/ the same FM username and password. These files are hosted on a FM11 server. The 1st file is set to auto login under the file preferences with NO username prompt. It works on Fm clients. However in FM Go it prompts for the 1st username and password to log in. After that it will not prompt again. Does FM GO support auto log in under the file preferences when the file is hosted on a FM Server?

Thanks

Drew

• 5. Re: Automatic Login for FM GO ~ Bug?
                  TSGal

Drew Hoffman9153:

Thank you for the additional information.  However, the file options should work regardless if it is FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Server hosting the file.  I have tested this with FileMaker Server 11 on Mac OS X Server 10.5.8 and Windows 2003 Server.

Let me know more about your computer environment, and I will try to replicate the problem here.

For testing purposes, create a new file with Auto Login file options, and see if the problem continues.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Automatic Login for FM GO ~ Bug?
                    DrewHoffman9153

I can get it to auto login on a single file solution, however once you go multi-file solution it will fail. What information do you need form me to replicate it on your end?

• 7. Re: Automatic Login for FM GO ~ Bug?
                      darylhansen

It would be nice if FileMaker Go clients to specify a username and password in the iOS app so that it remembers.

• 8. Re: Automatic Login for FM GO ~ Bug?
                        TSGal

Drew Hoffman9153:

Since this is working properly for me, and not for you, then send a copy/clone of the files with the exact steps needed to replicate the problem.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the files.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Automatic Login for FM GO ~ Bug?
                          ChrisMarriott
                          I can't get FileMaker Go for iPad to auto-login to a hosted DB (FileMaker Server 11).  When I muli-task out, it constantly asks for a username and password.  Is there any way to keep loggined in when multi-tasking?  Am I doing something wrong or missing a setting somewhere? Hope there's a way.  It's really annoying to keep logging in after even the quickest multi-task app switch. Chris
                          • 10. Re: Automatic Login for FM GO ~ Bug?
                            TSGal

Chris Marriott:

Thank you for your post.

Tap the wrench icon in the upper right corner of the FileMaker Go home page, and then set the fourth listed option, Auto-Restore Login, to On.  This will allow you to stay connected when you switch to another application and then back again without being asked for the username and password.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Automatic Login for FM GO ~ Bug?
                              ChrisMarriott

The issue was actually the Extended Privilege Sets for the hosted FileMaker file.  Auto-Restore Login was enabled in iPad settings, but I had to add the keyword 'fmrestorelogin' to the extended privs in order for auto-login to work.

Chris

• 12. Re: Automatic Login for FM GO ~ Bug?
                                TimErickson

I have a similar problem. I set the wrench to autologin on the iPad, I have specified my username and password, and when I switch out and back, I have to log in again. Using Filemaker Pro 11, using the simplest possible file sharing (no server).

• 13. Re: Automatic Login for FM GO ~ Bug?
                                  TSGal

Tim Erickson:

Thank you for your post.

You are probably running into the same issue as the previous poster (Chris Marriott) and need to set the extended privilege fmrestorelogin.

From Page 10 of the FileMaker Go 1.2.1 Technical Brief at:

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-go/docs/techbrief_filemaker_go_121_en.pdf

FileMaker Go supports the “fmrestorelogin” extended privilege. To take advantage of this extended privilege, you must create a new extended privilege using “fmrestorelogin” (no quotes) as the specific keyword.

FileMaker Go, by default, will not save the user name and password of a file that is terminated. The next time FileMaker Go is launched, it will prompt the user for their credentials and attempt to restore the user’s prior session, except in the following cases:

The current user is logged in using a Guest account. FileMaker Go will let the user immediately reconnect as a Guest.

The current user is logged into a FileMaker database where automatic log in to the file was turned on in the File Options.

The current user is logged in using an account that is associated with the “fmrestorelogin” extended privilege. This privilege exists to allow users to resume an interrupted FileMaker Go session without being further stalled by an authentication dialog. In these cases it may be prudent to recommend that all users lock their devices using the iOS security code feature.

The “fmrestorelogin” extended privilege works with Auto-Restore Login application setting (Home screen > Settings Menu) in FileMaker Go. If the setting is turned off, a user will always be prompted for their credentials.

If FileMaker Go is closed as a result of a user pressing the Home button or an incoming call, multi-file solutions will not prompt the user for credentials for every file when “awoken.” FileMaker Go simply prompts a user for credentials when opening the first file. As long as the other files in the solution contain the same account and password, no additional credentials prompt will be displayed.

The FileMaker Go client should honor all of a solution’s existing security settings. This means anyone authorized to access a database via FileMaker Pro is similarly authorized to access that same database, with all the same privileges, in FileMaker Go.

-------

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
                                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Automatic Login for FM GO ~ Bug?
                                    alc

SUGGESTION:

Given how much confusion there is about this -- FMGo Settings screen should clearly indicate that it is necessary to set extended priv's within the desktop app