6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2014 12:45 PM by TSGal

Backing up FM Go on iPad

michellefox

Title

Backing up FM Go on iPad

I've got a single user database running on an iPad. What is the best way to have this automatically backed up on a regular basis? Does carbonite.com or something similar work for this? It seems like iCloud doesn't do it. I don't want to mess around with dropbox or anything. It is actually for my husband and he needs it to be automated or it won't get done at all : P

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Backing up FM Go on iPad
          philmodjunk

Set up a script that emails a copy of the file to an email account.

• 2. Re: Backing up FM Go on iPad
            michellefox

That is a good idea. Any examples for me to follow? (I'm a newb, sorry).

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Backing up FM Go on iPad
              TSGal

michelle fox:

At any time, you can tap the gear icon in the upper right corner.  In the Menu that displays, tap "Save / Send".  On the next screen, tap "Database", and on the next screen, tap "Email".  At this point, an empty message is displayed with the database file as an attachment.  At the top, tap to the right of "To:" and enter the recipient email address.  When done, tap "Done" in the upper right corner.

If you are ever near a Desktop computer, plug the iOS device into the Desktop computer, launch iTunes, and iTunes will allow you to backup the data files on your iPad.  If at a later time you accidentally delete a file, you can return to iTunes and restore the iPad.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Backing up FM Go on iPad
                philmodjunk

All good ideas, but Michelle Fox wanted this to be automatic. wink

I can automate the email with a script:

Set Variable [ $Path ; Value: Get ( FileName ) & Substitute ( Get ( CurrentDate ) ; "/" ; "-" ) & ".fmp12" ]
                     Save A Copy As [$Path ; Copy ]
                     Send Mail [send via Email client ; To: AnEmailAddress.com ; Subject: "Back Up Copy" ; $Path ]

This works, but it leaves an extra copy of the file in the FileMaker Go Sandbox. I'm not sure how to set this up so that you don't clutter up your phone with multiple copies of this file.

• 5. Re: Backing up FM Go on iPad
                  michellefox

Unfortunately the email thing doesn't seem to work. It won't even generate an email at from my husband's iPad. It looks like it tries and then just times out. It works from my iPad but the .dbs file it sends is totally unformatted and only has like one record in it? If I try it from my macbook with the script it won't send the email because the attachment is too large.

What my husband really wants is some sort of automated online backup. He is afraid that he will lose or break his iPad and lose all his invoice data. As of now, I use iTunes to do it manually, but this is not acceptable to him. There has got to be someone who offers this service?? 

Thank you!

• 6. Re: Backing up FM Go on iPad
                    TSGal

michelle fox:

If you are not going to be changing the structure of the database file, then first save a copy of the file with nod data.  Then, on a daily basis, export the data as a text file. The text files will be much smaller.  If you ever change the structure of the file, then save another copy of the database file without any records.  If your iPad ever crashes, then you can move over the structure of the file and import the data.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.