4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2014 10:37 AM by TSGal

Barcode Scan Not Scanning

TonyReynolds

Title

Barcode Scan Not Scanning

Hello all,

I am very new to FM and quite certain I am simply not setting something up correctly. 

I have created a "book journal" in FM so my 7 year old can log all of the books he reads in FM Go on my ipod touch 2nd generation.  I have it set up so he can take a picture of the cover, add the book name, author, rating, genre, and a few other items.

I also have a container field that I would like to use to store a barcode image and a text field to then hold the actual code.

I have a button that when clicked triggers the "insert from device" script step which is set up to "insert from barcode" into my container field.

When I actually run this on the ipod touch and hit the button, the camera kicks on, and I try to scan the barcode...nothing happens.  It never scans.  It just sits there in "camera mode" until I cancel.

My first thought was that the resolution of the 2G iPod Touch back camera may not be high enough for the scanner to work.  However, I use barcode scanning in several other apps (Amazon, My Fitness Pal, and a few I downloaded just to try) with no problem.

So, does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Tony

• 1. Re: Barcode Scan Not Scanning
          TSGal

Tony Reynolds:

Thank you for your post.

Our Development and Testing departments are aware of this issue.  In essence, if you take a picture with the rear camera, and then try to scan with the rear camera, it will not work.  However, if you first scan, you can then take a picture, but again, you won't be able to scan again.

Another person who ran into this issue can be found here:

Insert from Device(Bar Code) doesn't scan after Inserting from Camera

I have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Barcode Scan Not Scanning
            TonyReynolds

Thanks for the reply TSGal.  Unfortunately, I cannot get the scan to scan at all.  Even when I do not take a picture first (or at all) and only try to scan the barcode it will not scan. 

I have even changed the destination field to a different field which is a text field and it did not work. 

Thanks again.

Tony

• 3. Re: Barcode Scan Not Scanning
              TSGal

Tony Reynolds:

In your "Insert from Device" script step, after clicking on Bar Code to display the Bar Code Options, can you verify that you are scanning from the Camera (Front or Back), and that you have the correct Bar code type selected?  Try selecting all Bar code types and see if that makes a difference.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Barcode Scan Not Scanning
                TSGal

All:

This issue of scanning bar codes after taking a picture has been addressed in the FileMaker Go 13.0v3 update, now available through the App Store and iTunes.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.