1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 18, 2014 10:52 AM by TSGal

Beginner Help Please

DataMaker

Title

Beginner Help Please

Hi,

I have lots of Filemaker Pro 12 databases on my computer. 

I have an iPhone and a Mini iPad with iOS 7.1.2 with disk capacity of 13.4 GB, I have lots of apps but can turn some off if I need to. I'd like to access my database information on my Mini iPad.

I've installed Filemaker Go 13 to my Mini iPad. I have no idea what to do next. There are so many links and bits of information but I don't see any beginner basic information on how to make this work. I'd appreciate it if someone could direct me to beginning information that would get me started I'd greatly appreciate it.

~DataMaker

• 1. Re: Beginner Help Please
          TSGal

DataMaker:

Thank you for your post.

In order to access your database file on your computer in real-time, you will first need to turn on Network Sharing.  That is, open the database file with FileMaker Pro, pull down the File menu and select Sharing -> Share with FileMaker Clients...

In the FileMaker Network Settings window that appears, turn on Network Sharing.  Once turned on, notice the TCP/IP Address(es) that then appear.  Write down this information.

Below in the left quadrant are the Currently open files.  Select the file you want to share, and then on the right side (Network access to file), select "All users".  Click OK, and the file is now set to be accessed by other FileMaker Pro/Go users.

With the file now hosted in FileMaker Pro, switch to your iPad Mini.  From the main screen, launch "Settings", tap "Wi-Fi", turn on Wi-Fi, and select your Wi-Fi network.  Once Wi-Fi is active, exit out of Settings and launch FileMaker Go.

From the main FileMaker Go screen, tap "Hosts" icon on the left side.  This will show all hosts on the Wi-Fi network.  If none appear, then you may have to "Add Host".  If this is the case, enter the Host Address.  An optional Host Name is not necessary, but if you plan to add a few hosts, give it a name to help you remember (e.g., "Home Computer").  Click Done, and your host name will now appear under Recent Files.  Tap on it to see your hosted file, and open the file.

This should give you a good starting point.  Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.