5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2014 3:11 PM by pear

BENTO 4 WON'T INSTALL

pear

Title

BENTO 4 WON'T INSTALL

I bought the Bento 4 on disk, and installed it over my old Bento on one of my two iMacs.  Today, I tried to install it on my second iMac, but it wouldn't install, and posted a message to "relaunch" but it didn't work.

When it asked whether to keep both versions on my computer, I said No and now don't have my libraries.  PLEASE HELP!

THANKS!

PEAR

• 1. Re: BENTO 4 WON'T INSTALL
          TSGal

pear:

Thank you for your post.

Installation of Bento does not touch any existing database files.  The installation only places the application in the Applications folder.

The database file is always kept in the default location:

[User Account] -> Library -> Application Support -> Bento -> bento.bentodb

With that said, what occurs when you try to launch Bento?  Do you get an error message?  I'll need more information in order to help you.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: BENTO 4 WON'T INSTALL
            pear

I solved the problem, but here's another.

I (and probably many others) find it very, very hard to find out where on your various web sites to post something.  To make the preceding post, I searched and searched for about an hour, and I still don't know where I landed that allowed me to post my message.

A similar problem responding to your answers you send by email.  Once again, I searched and searched to find where to replay to the email from you  (this response), and finally found this locationI'm typing on--but I don't remember how I got here.

Couldn't you guys make both much more obvious, much more easy to access.

Finally, once again, I (and probably many, many others) deplore the demise of Bento--a nifty program, with none out there to replace it.  

Bento users--all of us--feel like we were being driven in a great car to California, but booted out of the car in the desert, helpless and hopeless!!!

SUGGESTION: Couldn't your developers make a new data base program, something in complexity and features between BENTO and FILEMAKER PRO. It should have all the wonderful features of BENTO (including simplicity of learning to use it), plus some of the desirable features of FILEMAKER PRO.  Your company would sell lots of that data base program--certainly to all of us BENTO lovers, plus many new buyers.  

Please pass this suggestion on to corporate.  THANKS!

Lest you hear only complaints this time, I hasten to add a hearty and sincere "thanks" for all your help to me and other, TsGal.

PEAR

• 3. Re: BENTO 4 WON'T INSTALL
              TSGal

pear:

Thank you for your comments.

Where were you looking to post a new topic?  Currently, when you select a board, the right side has a "Post" section with "New Forum Post".  Would you like to see it worded differently?  Would you like to see it in another place?

As far as a reply, when you receive an email, there should be a link, twice, that says "Reply to this comment by Web".  This appears above and below the message.  What would you like to see?

The same things appear in the Bento forum (you're currently posting in the FileMaker forum).

I'll make sure your suggestions and comments get forwarded.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: BENTO 4 WON'T INSTALL
                pear

Thanks, TSGal, for your timely response.  This time I did click on the link in the email you sent to make my reply, and it worked.

Please, please, please forward my suggestion to Corporate for a new product that combines Bento and some (but not an overhwelming number) features from Filemaker Pro.  The result--a BEST BENTO!!!  Would buy it in a heartbeat, at any cost.

PEAR 

• 5. Re: BENTO 4 WON'T INSTALL
                  pear

I THINK THE CONFUSION IS THE "BOARDS," NOT KNOWING WHICH TO CHOOSE TO MAKE A POST, AND NOT FINDING QUICKLY OR EASILY WHERE TO MAKE THAT POST.

PEAR