4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2011 8:33 AM by user19036

Bento or Filemaker GO

user19036

Title

Bento or Filemaker GO

I currently have Filemaker v8. I have used it a lot - great app. Now, I want to be able to have read and write access to my data on my phone, and also possibly upgrade to a more current application.

What is the criteria for choosing Bento or Filemaker GO for database that works on my Mac, and on my iPhone (both my phone and mac are most recent version of OS)

Thanks!

Darryl

• 1. Re: Bento or Filemaker GO
          TSDuck

Hi Darryl Purpose:

Thanks for posting.

The criteria for using Bento versus FileMaker will depend on your database needs.  FileMaker Go can be used to directly access any databases you created in FileMaker Pro 8.  It can also access databases remotely, either hosted from FileMaker Server or FileMaker Pro.  FileMaker Go cannot create database files, so you would still need a copy of FileMaker Pro to modify database structure.  The app also lacks syncing capability.

Bento for iPhone or iPad does allow syncing between the device and one computer with Bento for Mac.  Bento for iPhone and iPad is also standalone, meaning you can create libraries directly on the device.  You would not need a copy of Bento for Mac to create your database.  Bento for iPhone and iPad does not have remote or local sharing.  The only way to transfer the device data is through sync to a computer with Bento for Mac.  Let me know if this information helps in comparing our different apps.

TSDuck

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Bento or Filemaker GO
            user19036

TSDuck, thank you!

Since I already own Filemaker 8 and Filemaker GO, I'll probably try to make that work.

But, I thought that I needed Filemaker Server in order to use Filemaker GO. No?

Thanks,

Darryl

• 3. Re: Bento or Filemaker GO
              TSDuck

Darryl Purpose:

FileMaker Server is not required for using FileMaker Go.  Only the FileMaker Pro version is required for creating your database files.  You can host your databases from FileMaker Pro and access them using FileMaker Go on the mobile device.  FileMaker Server would be needed if you want to automate backups, schedule scripts, and have ten or more concurrent users accessing a hosted database. 

TSDuck

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Bento or Filemaker GO
                user19036

Thanks!