5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2011 7:37 AM by ChrisDobbs

best way to sync

KeithTwitchel

Title

best way to sync

I need to carry several databases with me on my iPad.  When I return to the office I would like to save the updated databases back to my Mac (overwrite is OK).  I'm the only one that will make changes to the db so there is no concern for multiple files being changed before reintegration.  I have read suggestions for using the file sharing app feature in iTunes but this process does not seem to save the updated file on my iPad back to the location I originally shared from on my Mac during a normal sync.  Any suggestions on a way to accomplish what I need?

• 1. Re: best way to sync
          TSGal

Keith Twitchel:

Thank you for your post.

When you return to the office, connect your iPad to the Mac and launch iTunes.  Select the iPad under "DEVICES" on the left side of the iTunes window.  On the right side, click the Apps tab, and at the bottom under "File Sharing", click the App "FileMaker Go".  On the right side, under Documents, you will see all database files that exist on your iPad.  Simply drag that file onto the Desktop and let go.  The file will then be copied to your Desktop.

Let me know if you run into any difficulty.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: best way to sync
            KeithTwitchel

Thanks for the reply.  I must say I'm pretty disappointed that an iPad app at this price point can't sync automatically.  I'm aware of the option you presented and that's more of a manual file copy than a sync.  If Bento can sync, why can't Filemaker?  Other apps in the Filemaker Go price range like Omnifocus can cloud sync with Mobile Me.  It would seem there needs to be some effort put in to the sync part of the "Go" product if that's the best you can offer.

• 3. Re: best way to sync
              TSGal

Keith Twitchel:

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  Your original post said " I would like to save the updated databases back to my Mac (overwrite is OK)."

Bento syncs because there is no Sharing option over Wi-Fi.  FileMaker Go allows you to share files over Wi-Fi and 3G.  Sharing allows you to keep your databases updated in real-time.

I would encourage you to enter a sync suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

These web entries are read by our Development and Product Management departments where they are discussed and considered for a future release.  Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are some questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: best way to sync
                JohnSindelar_1

Hi Keith,

There is going to be a lot of talk on this at DevCon, with one session in particular devoted to Sync strategies for FileMaker Go: I'd definitely get over there if you can: http://www.filemaker.com/developers/devcon/

We've also built a framework for pushing offline changes back to hosted databases. It may be overkill if it's just you, but if you have multiple folks working offline you might check it out: http://www.seedcode.com/gozync

Hope that helps,

John

• 5. Re: best way to sync
                  ChrisDobbs

I have the same problem as Keith.  Has there been any progress on this?  To be clear, we are talking about syncing a shared file -- i.e. the database file.  

Unfortunately, I think this is an Apple/iTunes issue, not a FM issue.  That is, the File Sharing mechanism is generic to all apps.  If that's the case, then I hope that FM engineers are in tight with Apple, pushing for this kind of sync.  I should think it would be useful in lots of cases and not just for FM.