0 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2012 12:10 PM by wesnellans

Better way to combine fields into container for export?

Title

Better way to combine fields into container for export?

Hi! New to the forums, not-quite-a-novice to FileMaker.  I've got a neat little Filemaker Go solution that I've put together to take inventory of my parts department, and have since expanded it into a solution that can be used by anyone looking to easily track inventory - it even automatically counts what you've got upon entry of a barcode scan or manual entry.

The reason for this post is this:  Since GO doesn't allow for export in other standardized formats (read: EXCEL), in order to export the inventory contents I've made a single-line-field that combines all aspects of each record into one CSV-style line, then upon demand every single-line entry of a found set is combined in a global container field as a CSV file. Since GO will allow (by scripting) the export of a singe field's contents, it works.  I then email that file to myself so it can be opened in a regular spreadsheet by anyone.

The problem is how clunky it really is.  With approx 8500 records it simply doesn't ever finish on an iOS device.  Takes a few minutes on my i7 Imac, even! While smaller sets work fine, a full inventory file is simply too big to manipulate in this manner on iOS.

Any thoughts on a simpler, more elegant solution?