AnsweredAssumed Answered

Bluetooth barcode scanner Lookup to find

Question asked by BenKingery on May 21, 2015
Latest reply on May 21, 2015 by philmodjunk

Title

Bluetooth barcode scanner Lookup to find

Hello everyone!  I am BRAND NEW to filemaker and I am just trying it out to see if I can build my Warehouse Management App onto it.  I come from a development background of Microsoft Access/SQL Server/.NET, so this is a completely new realm.  There are a few things I need to ascertain to see if FileMaker will be a suitable platform moving forward.

I have a bluetooth barcode scanner that scans all my items perfectly and writes the data back to FileMaker Go 14.   I have also successfully implemented a "View" from my SQL server that gives me visibility into my data.  What I would like to do now is to scan a barcode using my bluetooth barcode scanner, take the barcode value scanned and look up the Item Number (because UPC does not equal item number) then peform a find on my layout using the value for Item Number.

I currently have two tables in my FM application:  Catalog, and Inventory.  Table Catalog has 2 columns (Item Number, and UPC).  Table Inventory has 3 columns (Item Number, Quantity, and ShelfNumber)  Should be clear that the two tables are related on "Item Number".  

My current Layout is for records on table Catalog and it has a Portal showing the related data on table Inventory.  Once I scan the barcode and lookup the Item Number from the Catalog table, I would then like to perform a find on my layout so that the Item Number whose barcode I scanned now displays and shows the inventory.

Any ideas?  This has to have iOS compatible code because it will deployed onto an iPhone/iPod Touch.

Thank you very much in advance.  

Outcomes