1 2 3 4 Previous Next 57 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2012 1:39 PM by AlbertWang

Bluetooth barcode scanner?

tcmeyers

Title

Bluetooth barcode scanner?

Both the iPhone and iPad FileMaker Go apps would be perfect for my company IF we were able to use a Bluetooth barcode scanner to input data into fields/finds. Are such scanners already in existence and supported?

• 1. Re: Bluetooth barcode scanner?
          TSGal

Troy Meyers:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker does not recommend any specific barcode scanners.  However, if the scanner is supported by the iPad as an input device, then it should work with FileMaker Go.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Bluetooth barcode scanner?
            tcmeyers

Paul & TSGal,

Thank you for the replies. A few months ago we had obtained a Baracoda Pencil2 Bluetooth scanner, but haven't been able to get it to work with the iPhone/iPad, and at that time didn't see any other options. I appreciate the lead to the Scanfob.

Paul, have you actually used this device?

-Troy

• 4. Re: Bluetooth barcode scanner?
              tcmeyers

Paul,

One of the videos you referred to states that if you pair a bluetooth scanner to the iPad or iPhone to act as keyboard, then you are no longer able to access the on-screen keyboard. They show a specially-written app that allows you to get the screen keyboard, but of course this app isn't "in" FileMaker Go. Unless I'm mistaken, this is a big problem for us, because we need to both scan data and key-in data into FileMaker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFVgjAmpHQw&feature=player_embedded

Has anyone dealt with this issue?

-Troy

• 5. Re: Bluetooth barcode scanner?
                pdh

I haven't used one but I got to the site from a post on another forum saying they were good. I came here to ask the exact same question about the virtual keyboard/bluetooth issue and whether filemaker have an option to allow them both to be used. For a database system I (and probably everyone else in the world) need both the scanner and the keyboard so I'm hoping that Apple and Filemaker can get together and make this happen (Apple own FM after all). Without that ability it will make it useless for a mobile inventory system - which is what I want to do. I've been waiting for FM Go since the the launch of the iPad and I think FM Go is  awesome but I was disapointed when I found out about this limitation. Hopefully they'll fix it like the SerialIO guys have but it needs to be a feature inside FM Go.

Paul.

• 6. Re: Bluetooth barcode scanner?
                  tcmeyers

Thanks Paul !

I have my fingers crossed too, then.

TSGal,

If you can, please pass this on to the development people, I also believe a lot of users will want this ability. As it is, it's not really usable yet.

-Troy

• 7. Re: Bluetooth barcode scanner?
                    TSGal

Troy Meyers and pdh:

Thank you for your posts.

All suggestions for FileMaker Go are to be entered into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

These entries are read by members of both Development and Product Management directly. (I notice "FileMaker Go" is not currently listed under "Product", so I have sent a request to have that changed.)

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Bluetooth barcode scanner?
                      pdh

Thanks for the link TSGal - request posted (under Bento - but I said it was for FM Go).

Paul.

• 9. Re: Bluetooth barcode scanner?
                        tcmeyers

TSGal,

Thank you, I see they've added the FileMaker Go category to the feature request page, so I've made my request.

I don't know how the feature requests are evaluated for whether they should be implemented or not, but if the quantity of similar requests makes a difference, I hope others who see the value of this will reiterate the request!

-Troy

• 10. Re: Bluetooth barcode scanner?
                          harlowtech

There are some posts on the Apple discussion forms where folks have gotten a Barcode reader to work with the iPad/iPhone however they have the same issues with virtual keyboard, which is likely an issue with the underlying iOS. So you might want to write Apple to request that the virtual keyboard be enabled when another keyboard is attached via bluetooth at http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Daniel Harlow

• 11. Re: Bluetooth barcode scanner?
                            pdh

Agreed, but Apple own FileMaker Inc so I'm sure they can send it to the right person. Also there are apps out there that can enable it - as seen on the serialio web site - so there must be a way to bypass that action.

Paul.

• 12. Re: Bluetooth barcode scanner?
                              TSGal

Troy Meyers (et al):

Please keep in mind that this is the initial release, and your feedback is important!  As I mentioned earlier, the Feature Requests are read by Development and Product Management, and all requests are discussed.  The number of requests for a feature is one factor, but not the sole factor.  For example, if we received 10 requests for a barcode scanner working with the virtual keyboard, and 10,000 requests for FileMaker Go to wash dishes, it is obvious the former would be more considered.  (I admit this is an extreme and stupid example.)

Please don't feel you are relegated to only posting to the web form.  Please enter the suggestions here, too.  Many times, a user will post a suggestion, which prompts a second person to post a similar request, and then a third person will use the first two posts to create an additional request..... sort of like a collaborative suggestion.

TSGal
                              FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Bluetooth barcode scanner?
                                iceman7

Add me to the list of someone who would be very, very, very interested in a bar-code - FileMaker Go solution.

This has major enterprise potential.

• 14. Re: Bluetooth barcode scanner?
                                  eroadburg

For example, if we received 10 requests for a barcode scanner working  with the virtual keyboard, and 10,000 requests for FileMaker Go to wash  dishes, it is obvious the former would be more considered.

Okay, I tried to wash my dishes with the Filemaker Go app and I think I've ruined my iPhone.  Do you think I might have used too much soap?

Bob

1 2 3 4 Previous Next