1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2015 9:42 AM by ErichWetzel

Buttons missing from layout in FM Go 14

ErichWetzel

Title

Buttons missing from layout in FM Go 14

Strange behavior. We have buttons that are simply not rendering in FM Go 14 when going to certain layouts. The same buttons have been around our databases for some time and all worked and rendered fine in FM Go 13. Strangely when this happens it is only to buttons that appear at the top right of the layout. We are seeing this in two separate databases. For us the buttons are navigational and as such makes FM Go 14 impossible to use.

I have found that the problem area appears to be list view and by zooming in and out eventually the buttons show up. Not terribly convenient.

• 1. Re: Buttons missing from layout in FM Go 14
          rgordon

This sounds like a similar bug that occurred in FileMaker Go 13.  When in list view the upper right corner would be covered by a light gray box.  Sometimes if you would rotate the iPad 90 degrees and then back the screen would correct itself.  Issues like this have been a problem for years.  When things like this happen I would recommend restarting FMGO or the iPad.  This will decrease the frequency of these annoyances happening.

• 2. Re: Buttons missing from layout in FM Go 14
            TSGal

ErichWetzel:

Thank you for your post.

There are buttons from previous versions of FileMaker Pro that may not render properly in FileMaker Go 14.  For instance, the built-in Assets.fmp12 file in FileMaker Pro 13 (Assets layout) will not render the far right button in FileMaker Go 14.  However, if you use the Assets.fmp12 file from FileMaker Pro 14, the far right button will render properly in FileMaker Go 14.

Recreate the non-rendering buttons in FileMaker Pro 14 and then they should then appear properly in FileMaker Go 14.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Buttons missing from layout in FM Go 14
              rouelf_1

FYI, For me (iPhone 6+) this occurs on the Header part of layout (List View) for a layout that is bit wider than portrait by design. Not only navigation buttons, but labels, text fields and container field. But if the layout is opened in landscape there is no problem. Also a small resizing by pinching screen, all renders correctly. Tried copying all items in layout part, deleting the part, then recreating the part, and pasting all objects back, did not fix the issue. Probably have to recreate all faulty objects/items as suggested. BTW, the buttons and fields are also on top right of layout in the Header part, outside of view in portrait mode.

• 4. Re: Buttons missing from layout in FM Go 14
                ErichWetzel

TSGal,

I understand your logic and I bet that if I rebuild the buttons with FM14 they will work.

However, I have buttons that have been in my databases for quite some time, 10-15 years unchanged, that are showing fine. The ones that don't show until zoomed in and out are all in the same physical location in each database where the problem exists. They are all in the top right corner of the layout. In each database instance, the buttons, showing and not, were all created at the same time when the layout was originally developed.

Seems to me that there may be something else going on. Any other thoughts?

-Erich Wetzel

• 5. Re: Buttons missing from layout in FM Go 14
                  ErichWetzel

TSGal,

In testing I started easily. I added a brand new button in the same area as the other non-rendering buttons, text which says "test", applied open URL step to it, saved, rebooted FM Go 14 on iPhone, FM Go 14 auto reconnected, manually closed file being tested to assure fresh start, reopened file, new button is not rendered like the others and appears after zoom as with the others.

If you have a next idea I will be happy to test it, but rewriting the buttons does not solve it since a brand new button doesn't show either.

-Erich Wetzel

• 6. Re: Buttons missing from layout in FM Go 14
                    rgordon

Do the buttons look like they are being covered or masked by something or does the header look fine except for the invisible buttons.  One possible work around is to have a script that triggers when the layout opens the has a zoom in and a zoom out steps.  This doesn't really solve the problem but it might be enough to get the layout to display properly.  I also find that going to find mode and then back to browse mode also corrects some screen redraw issues.

• 7. Re: Buttons missing from layout in FM Go 14
                      schamblee

Erich, do you have a sample database that you can share with a dropbox link and I will be happy to test, and verify the results. 

Stacy Chamblee

• 8. Re: Buttons missing from layout in FM Go 14
                        TSGal

ErichWetzel:

Feel free to send in your database file so I can take a look, and if need be, forward it to Development and Testing.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Buttons missing from layout in FM Go 14
                          ErichWetzel

@Stacy Chamblee: thank you for the offer. I am following up with TSGal's offer for FileMaker to review. We will see what happens from there.

@TSGal: file is on the way, login details in email. Thank you for looking at it.

Erich Wetzel 

• 10. Re: Buttons missing from layout in FM Go 14
                            TSGal

ErichWetzel:

File has been received.

On an iPad 3 running iOS 8.3, I am unable to replicate the issue.  All of the text objects that have been made into buttons appear in FileMaker Go 14.0.1. in both Portrait and Landscape.  Keep in mind that I am prompted for two additional files when I switch to the Events layout, and I cancel each time.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Buttons missing from layout in FM Go 14
                              ErichWetzel

TSGal

I was able to duplicate your experience of full rendering with an iPad3 using identical software versions.

This problem is on iPhone 5S, iOS 8.3, FM Go 14.0.1. Sorry should have clarified up front.

I have live screen shots which contain a bit of data that I would like to send to you directly. I will send them to the same location as the database file. In the first of each sample is the completed opening of each database without full complement of buttons. The second shows all buttons which resolved once I zoomed out and back in again.

• 12. Re: Buttons missing from layout in FM Go 14
                                TSGal

ErichWetzel:

Although I was unable to replicate on your file, I was able to replicate with some older files.  An easy example was launching FileMaker Pro 13.0v9 and creating a new solution using the built-in Assets template.  In the Desktop -> Assets layout, there are two blue buttons in the upper right corner.  When I open the file in FileMaker Go 14, the buttons appear, but the graphic for the right button does not render.

Your post along with my findings have been sent to Development and Testing for review.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Buttons missing from layout in FM Go 14
                                  TSGal

ErichWetzel:

I forgot to mention that I received your screenshots, and I have attached them to my report to Development and Testing.

TSGal
                                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Buttons missing from layout in FM Go 14
                                    ErichWetzel

@ TSGal

Sounds good. Thanks

1 2 Previous Next