1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 20, 2010 7:29 AM by TSuki

Can connect from same wireless, but not different

BrettWhistler

Title

Can connect from same wireless, but not different

I just purchased FM Go and got it to run without a hitch on my LAN.  As long as I'm on the same WiFi I have no problem accessing my FM Pro databases.  When I try from another WiFi hotspot, I'm unable to connect.  

I'm a networking NOOB, so I apologize at the outset for stupidity on my part.

If somebody could walk me through how to change this behavior...I'd be grateful.

I'm using an AirPort Extreme (new), an iMac with 10.6.4, and my firewall is set so FM Pro will allow incoming.

My iMac is also used by my wife and I.  FM is always running, I'm always logged in, my computer is never asleep, a password is required to unlock after screen sleeps, and password required to switch users.  As long as I'm on my LAN, it doesn't matter the status (screen asleep or wife logged in as active user) I can still access my FM databases.  So I'm thinking it's not this...but a firewall or port setting.

Thanks...Brett

• 1. Re: Can connect from same wireless, but not different

Brett Whistler:

Thank you for posting.

Your AirPort Extreme will be assigned an external IP address from your ISP. You should be able to view this address using a website such as http://www.whatismyip.com. FileMaker Go would use this address to connect to your network.

When it attempts this connection, your router must decide which computer to forward it too. In short, you must forward port 5003 to the computer that is sharing the database on your network. There are many guides online for setting up port forwarding on specific routers. To configure port forwarding, you only need the port number (5003) and the local IP address of the "server" on your network.

TSuki
          FileMaker, Inc.