7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2010 1:20 PM by TSGal

Can Filemaker Pro import records from FilemakerGo?

user14040

Title

Can Filemaker Pro import records from FilemakerGo?

I have a problem

Right now I am using the remote host feature to connect to database, the problem is when I dont have a 3G signal or wifi signal available. What do I do?

I noticed that one of the new updates to FMGO is import record from desktop, can I also do it the other way around?

Meaning can I put my database on the ipad input my data then have a script that will import new records or updated records to the desktop when a signal is available?

I need some how to be able to get 3 IPad users to add new data and updated data into the desktop.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Can Filemaker Pro import records from FilemakerGo?
          TSGal

Lawfour:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Go cannot be used as a Host device.  You will need to transfer the file to the computer and perform the Import there.  After updating files from all three users, you can download the updated files to the three users.

Please enter this suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

These suggestions are read by Development and Product Management where they are discussed and considered for a future version.  Although I could easily copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Can Filemaker Pro import records from FilemakerGo?
            TSGal

Lawfour:

It does appear this is possible.  Looking at Example 2 on page 8 of the "FileMaker Go Development Guide":

Example 2: Importing from a local source (Source.fp7) into a remote database (Target.fp7)

1. Transfer Source.fp7 to FileMaker Go.

2. Open Target.fp7 in FileMaker Pro. 

3. Create an “Import to Remote” script in Target.fp7. For example:

Set Variable[$FilePath;Value:Get(DocumentsPath) & “Source.fp7”]

Import Records[No dialog; “$FilePath”; Add; Mac Roman] where the path to the source file on the device is file:$FilePath

4. In the Edit Script dialog box, select the Import Records script step and select Specify import order.

If the source fields do not appear in the Import Field Mapping dialog, select Specify data source, and add another path to Source.fp7 to the path list. For example:

file:$FilePath

file:Source.fp7

5. Open Target.fp7 remotely in FileMaker Go.

6. Run the script "Import to Remote."

Using Target.fp7 in FileMaker Go, you have added data from Source.fp7 on the device to Target.fp7 on the host computer.

Tip After you complete one import, the field mapping is retained if you selected Arrange by: last order in the Import Field Mapping dialog. There is no longer a need for the file:Source.fp7 reference.

You can find the "FileMaker Go Development Guide" online at:

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-go/docs/fmgo_development.pdf

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Can Filemaker Pro import records from FilemakerGo?
              user14040

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong

I created the script above but it is not transfer from the Ipad to desktop, it only transferring from file to file on the desktop.

What I am trying to do is transfer new or updated records that i create on the Ipad and transfer it to the desktop.  This script the way it is written only transfers records between files on my desktop.

How do I transfer from Ipad to desktop?  Below is the script I am using. [under Import action I checked off, update existing record in found set, and checked off add remaining data as new record]

record sync

• 4. Re: Can Filemaker Pro import records from FilemakerGo?
                user14040

Ok after looking over this I am guessing what is needed is a export record feature added to the edit script section.  Import does import from desktop to Ipad at least I think it did.  I think we need a export feature from Ipad to desktop.

• 5. Re: Can Filemaker Pro import records from FilemakerGo?
                  TSGal

Lawfour:

If only one record is in the found set, then the script above will import one record.

What do you plan to do once you have the one record?  Did you want it in a text file?  If so, then you'll have to do that from the remote machine.  That is, after the import, only one record will exist in the found set.  You can then follow this with an Export Records script step and specify the file type.  If you want to export as PDF, then you can do that either on the mobile device or within FileMaker Pro; it depends on what you plan to do with it.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Can Filemaker Pro import records from FilemakerGo?
                    user14040

thanks

I want to transfer all new or updated record from  FMGO [Ipad] to Filemaker Pro [Desktop] not one record, all records.  Can this be done? it works from desktop to ipad.

• 7. Re: Can Filemaker Pro import records from FilemakerGo?
                      TSGal

Lawfour:

FileMaker Pro/Go will import a found set of records.  If all records are in the found set, then all records will be imported.  If you perform a find for all new or updated records, then only those records will be imported.  Therefore, be sure to find the updated records first before running the script.  Perhaps it would be easier if you let me know what problems you are encountering with the found set of records.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.