4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2015 8:36 AM by AndreaSalter

Can I split a database into sub-sections just simply in terms of dividing up the number of records?

AndreaSalter

Title

Can I split a database into sub-sections just simply in terms of dividing up the number of records?

When we set up the FM database, we imagined one person working on it at a time, but we now need to split the database so that a number of people can work on different parts of it simultaneously. We want to keep each section intact and simply carve the database into smaller sub-sections that can be worked on (e.g records 1-1000, 1001-2000 and so on).  Is it possible to do this without having to make four copies and then delete runs of records from each?

When we have finished working on the database, we would then like to join up the sub-sections to make the database whole again. Is there a way to do this please?

Grateful for any help please; thanks

• 1. Re: Can I split a database into sub-sections just simply in terms of dividing up the number of records?
          TSGal

Andrea Salter:

Thank you for your post.

There are several options available.

1. Have the database file hosted by FileMaker Pro, and have the other users access the main database file from FileMaker Go.  Create accounts so that certain users can only see specific records.  This would allow real-time updating of the file, and there would be no reason to split up the database into four copies.

2. If you need four separate copies, then make four clones of the file (copy with no records), and import the relevant data into each copy.  At some time, you could then import each of the four copies into the main database file.

3. Use a third-party product that allows syncing.  I know of GoZync (SeedCode) and MirrorSync (360Works).  This would allow the four users to make changes, and then sync back to the main database file.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Can I split a database into sub-sections just simply in terms of dividing up the number of records?
            AndreaSalter

Thanks so much for getting back to me, TSGal.

We really do need four separate copies so your second option sounds ideal. I've made the four clones and am trying to import relevant records from the larger database into one of them; can I ask, how do I specify which records I want to import? Is there a way to identify a range of records for a bulk import?

Very many thanks

• 3. Re: Can I split a database into sub-sections just simply in terms of dividing up the number of records?
              TSGal

Andrea Salter:

In the main database file, find the records you want to import.  Then, in the clone file, when you import, select the main database file, and only the found records will be imported.

If you are doing a range of records, you will need to hide the records you don't want imported.  For example, if you want the first 1,000 records to appear in the first clone file, go to the record 1,001, pull down the Records menu and select Omit Multiple.  An "Omit Multiple" window will appear saying "Starting from the current record, omit ___ records."  At this point, enter a very large number (100000).  Another window will then appears saying "Starting from the current record, only <n> records can be omitted."  Click OK, and then click Omit.  Only records 1-1000 will be available.  You can then import the first set of records.

The second batch may be a little tricky.  Pull down the Records menu and select "Show All Records".  Go to record 1, pull down the Records menu, select Omit Multiple, and omit 1000 records.  This will leave you at record 1001, but it shows record 1.  Go to Record 1001 (which is really record 2001), and Omit the remaining set of records.  In the second clone file, import the records from the main database file.

Let me know if you run into any difficulty or need me to clarify further.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Can I split a database into sub-sections just simply in terms of dividing up the number of records?
                AndreaSalter

That worked an absolute treat, thank you very much!

Best wishes,

Andrea