7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2012 4:17 PM by philmodjunk

Can't open PDFs on iPad

TurtleKoala

Title

Can't open PDFs on iPad

I am using Filemaker 11. I was asked to figure out why PDFs from a database that I have been working on are not opening on an iPad. I initially thought that they might have been inserted by reference, but this is not the case. I don't have any other ideas of why this is happening. Unfortunately, I won't have access to an iPad for testing until tomorrow, but I was hoping that somebody has experience with this issue.

Thanks,

TK

• 1. Re: Can't open PDFs on iPad
          TSGal

TurtleKoala:

Thank you for your post.

If the PDF files are not inserted by reference, then you should be able to open them.  If the PDF file was inserted as Picture, then when you tap the Container field and tap Open, only the first page will be displayed.  If the PDF file was inserted as File, then all pages will be displayed.

If you continue to run into difficulty, try rebooting the iPad.  If that fails, then copy all FileMaker files off the device, remove FileMaker Go, and reinstall.  Once re-installed, and all files moved back, then try again.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Can't open PDFs on iPad
            TurtleKoala

Thanks,

I'll try rebooting the iPad, and reinstalling Filemaker Go if necessary.

• 3. Re: Can't open PDFs on iPad
              TurtleKoala

I've tried opening PDFs and word documents on the iPad now and I think the issue may just be that I don't know the correct way to open the file stored in the container field. In FileMaker Pro, I would double click the container field, and the file opens up in Adobe Acrobat. In FileMaker Go, I tap the container field and select Open, but it just opens up a JPEG of the icon displayed in the container field. Is there some other way I should be opening these?

Thanks,

TK

• 4. Re: Can't open PDFs on iPad
                TurtleKoala

So apparently the files were inserted with "Insert Object..." instead of "Insert File...." When inserting an object, there is no option to store by reference, but I am worried that maybe that is the default. However, the database is around 8 GB, so I would be surprised if all of the files were only inserted as references.

Thanks,

TK

• 5. Re: Can't open PDFs on iPad
                  TSGal

TurtleKoala:

I don't know the contents of your database file, but at 8GB, I'm inclined to agree with you that the files were embedded in the database file as opposed to being stored as reference.

With "Insert Object", there is a checkbox option to "Display As Icon".  This tells FileMaker Pro not to display the embedded or linked object completely, but to display an icon that represents the object.  When "Display As Icon" is not selected, the complete object is displayed in the Container field.

For those records that are just displaying the icon in FileMaker Go, I would return to the original record in FileMaker Pro, and use "Insert File" to replace the contents, and make sure you don't enter a checkmark in the option "Store only a reference to the file".  Then, once the data is committed, then access the file again in FileMaker Go, tap the Container field, tap Open, and see if the file then opens.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Can't open PDFs on iPad
                    TurtleKoala

I was a bit worried of that answer. Unfortunately, there are around 10,000 files to be reinserted, so if I am going to take that appraoch, I'm going to need to wither figure out a way to automate the process, or find some 3rd party solution. Also, if you're interested, when I insert something new as a file, I am able to open it in FileMaker Go, so I am fairly confident that the issue is that they were inserted as objects.

Thanks for your help TSGal

• 7. Re: Can't open PDFs on iPad
                      philmodjunk

GetAsText(containerField)

will return a ? for inserted objects and will return text for files inserted using other methods.