5 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2011 10:59 AM by TSGal

Cancel slider showing even when user abort is off

Crispin

Title

Cancel slider showing even when user abort is off

I have a layout that pulls some serious summaries from an online FileMaker server. I've noticed that the red 'Slide to cancel' comes up at the bottom even though the script that takes me to that layout has 'turn user abort' off. 

• 1. Re: Cancel slider showing even when user abort is off
          TSGal

Crispin:

Thank you for your post.

What script step is being performed that displays the "Slide to cancel" slider?  Perhaps it would be better if you posted the script here.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Cancel slider showing even when user abort is off
            Crispin

It's a bit difficult to post scripts as I don't believe screen shots or scrips can be posted on this board (moan)

but here we go with real clip manager 4 version below.

Script has parameter where chooses layout from two versions (both have the issue)

1) Allow User Abort off

2) If parameter is a 1

3) Go to layout A

4) Else

5) Got to layout B

6) End if

7) Perform Stored Find (Show only active items)

8) Sort (restore no dialogue)

What I see is the three summary fields on the layout each take time to calculate and while they are doing so I get the choice to cancel. If I say yes then they do not calculate. How can I stop this happening? I don't want the user to be able to do abort the calculation of the summaries.

(<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><fmxmlsnippet type="FMObjectList">  <Script includeInMenu="False" runFullAccess="False" id="71" name="Landlord(1 if Valuations)">    <Step enable="True" id="85" name="Allow User Abort">      <Set state="False"/>    </Step>    <Step enable="True" id="68" name="If">      <Calculation>Get ( ScriptParameter )</Calculation>    </Step>    <Step enable="True" id="6" name="Go to Layout">      <LayoutDestination value="SelectedLayout"/>      <Layout id="60" name="Landlords list valuations"/>    </Step>    <Step enable="True" id="69" name="Else"/>    <Step enable="True" id="6" name="Go to Layout">      <LayoutDestination value="SelectedLayout"/>      <Layout id="40" name="Landlords list"/>    </Step>    <Step enable="True" id="70" name="End If"/>    <Step enable="True" id="28" name="Perform Find">      <Restore state="True"/>      <Query>        <RequestRow operation="Include">          <Criteria>            <Field table="LN_Landlord" id="54" name="One_if_active"/>            <Text>1</Text>          </Criteria>        </RequestRow>      </Query>    </Step>    <Step enable="True" id="39" name="Sort Records">      <NoInteract state="True"/>      <Restore state="True"/>      <SortList value="True">        <Sort type="Ascending">          <PrimaryField>            <Field table="LN_Landlord" id="32" name="Name"/>          </PrimaryField>        </Sort>      </SortList>    </Step>  </Script></fmxmlsnippet>

• 3. Re: Cancel slider showing even when user abort is off
              TSGal

Crispin:

Thank you for the script steps.  After finding a database large enough (228,000+ records), I am able to replicate the problem once I added another step after the Sort step (to confirm the Summary field values were not calculated after the sort).

I have forwarded your post along with my findings to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review.  I will keep you posted as information becomes available to me.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Cancel slider showing even when user abort is off
                philmodjunk

It's a bit difficult to post scripts as I don't believe screen shots or scrips can be posted on this board

There are several ways you can paste a script to the board

1. Upload a screen shot to the first post of your thread. You can click the Edit Post link to upload the image after the fact
                2. Upload a screen shot to a file sharing site and post the link to it here
                3. Print your script to PDF, open the PDF and copy the script text from the PDF
                4. If you have FileMaker Advanced, you can generate a Database Design Report and copy the script from there.

For any of the text based script pastes, there's also a custom function in the Known Bugs List Database you can use to clean up your copied script text. If you paste the script into the text field on the Script Pretty tab on a Bug Report layout, it strips out extra spacing between lines and indents blocks of code inside loops and If Then to make the text a bit nicer to read. If you use the HTML option, you can copy the HTML tagged version of your script and paste it into the HTML editor window to paste a clean, indented and single spaced copy of your script into this forum.

• 5. Re: Cancel slider showing even when user abort is off
                  TSGal

Crispin:

I talked to Development and Testing recently, and I have a better understanding why this occurs.

The summarizing data progress comes from the layout level of FileMaker, and not from the scripting level.  Therefore, Allow User Abort has no effect on the summarizing, and it is not possible to disallow the cancel slider for non-scripted processes.  The Desktop also displays this same behavior with a lot more records, but the processing speed of the Desktop is many times faster than an iOS device, so it becomes more apparent in FileMaker Go.

I have submitted a request to add a feature that allows the user to turn on/off summarizing of data.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.