8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2014 8:39 AM by pi-comm

Cannot access remote DB when Mac is locked

pi-comm

Title

Cannot access remote DB when Mac is locked

Hi

i can access my DB (FMP) when using FMG fine, port 5003 open and can do everything I need to when off the LAN.  Until my Mac locks, then I cannot access the server/DB at all..

is is there any way around this as my system auto locks and I don't really want to leave it open

thanks for any help you can offer 

• 1. Re: Cannot access remote DB when Mac is locked
          TSGal

PI Comm:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Go and a hosted file on FileMaker Pro will communicate with one another.  If the Mac should lock and FileMaker Go attempts to communicate but does not receive a response, there isn't much you can do.  You will have to reboot FileMaker Pro.

If you are concerned about security, then have FileMaker Pro open to a blank layout.  That way, if the server does lock, no information is shown to others.

The real issue here is FileMaker Pro locking.  What is happening on the Mac?  Do you have multiple applications running?  Is there any screen saver running (disable it).  Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Cannot access remote DB when Mac is locked
            pi-comm

TY for replying

I am happy to leave my DB open, but my MAC locks the screen with a password after 10 mins.

I know I can disable this but don't really want to leave a MAC running and open with all of my business information on.

If the screen locks should that end the FileMaker session? I'm sure I had this set up before where that didn't happen.

thanks for any help you can offer on this

• 3. Re: Cannot access remote DB when Mac is locked
              TSGal

PI Comm:

If the Mac locks the screen after ten minutes, then FileMaker Go will be unable to communicate with the Mac.

Another possible option is to set up a FileMaker Pro user account that only allows access to one layout - the blank layout - with privileges set to read only.  You can then leave it open, and if anybody looks at your screen, nothing will be shown.  If they sit down at the Mac, they will be unable to switch to a different layout, and they can't make any changes.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Cannot access remote DB when Mac is locked
                philmodjunk

TSGal,

But this does not prevent them from closing the FileMaker App down and roaming through the other files PI Comm may have on his Mac that are important but have nothing to do with FileMaker.

• 5. Re: Cannot access remote DB when Mac is locked
                  pi-comm

Absoluetly, 

does anyone else come across this issue?  I would have thought locking a PC/Mac was standard practice, but this seems to stop FMG from communicating with the main files?

We are only a small business and looked at FMS before setting this up and was advised against as FMP/FMG should work together.

Any help with this is massively appreciated as our system is now live as we thought it was fully tested, but didn't realise every time the Mac sleeps, communication stops..

Thanks

• 6. Re: Cannot access remote DB when Mac is locked
                    philmodjunk

Thought of this after and maybe what TSGal actually had in mind:

Can you add another user account with severely restricted privileges and use it to keep the DB open when you need to leave the office?

Either that or get a new computer and set your old one up as host and lock it in a closet or something...

• 7. Re: Cannot access remote DB when Mac is locked
                      PI Comm:

Thank you for the post and replies.

To clarify, are you saying that locking the screen with a passcode, then stops FileMaker Pro from hosting via network sharing?

> System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General > "Require password immediately after sleep or screen saver begins"

The above setting should be alright, if the computer is set to never sleep:

> System Preferences > Energy Saver > Computer sleep > "Never"

Let me know if I misunderstand, or if the computer is not asleep and the passcode lock is stopping FileMaker Pro from hosting via network sharing.

TSFalcon
                      FileMaker, Inc.
                      • 8. Re: Cannot access remote DB when Mac is locked
                        pi-comm

Thanks - I imagine this will solve the issue of not being able to acces the db, but leaves my whole Mac open.

I have got round this by buying a second hand Mac just for FileMaker go