1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2015 10:52 AM by TSGal

Cannot slide objects on mobile device

RyanBuckley

Title

Cannot slide objects on mobile device

Hey all,

I'm not sure why this is happening, and I couldn't find a solution anywhere.

I have a list of items I want to export/print to PDF. Some of the descriptions can be long, so I have a large text field set up that I want to shrink when the text is less than the space I've allotted. Works fine from FileMaker Pro 12, but the longer texts are constantly cut-off when I Save to PDF from Go.

I've run out of patience troubleshooting this myself. Hoping someone may be able to offer some insight.

Many thanks,

Ryan

• 1. Re: Cannot slide objects on mobile device
          TSGal

Ryan Buckley:

Thank you for your post.

Instead of using Save as PDF script step, try tapping the upper right corner gear wheel, and in the Menu, tap "Print".  In the Print Setup window, make sure the Record Range is set to Found Set, and then tap PDF.  In the PDF menu, tap "View".  Does this look the way as expected?

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Cannot slide objects on mobile device
            RyanBuckley
            Hi TSGal, Thanks for your reply but I'm not sure if that solution will work for my client. What you're suggesting cannot be automated into a script, right? I have a list-view with checkboxes from which the client can click "Export" his selection of records to send a PDF. That functionality is important, and to have the client be taken to a Print preview screen where they have to tap a gear, a menu item, a dialog screen with several options and then 'view' would be way too complicated for him. Any ideas on how to export a selection of records to PDF in a script?
            • 3. Re: Cannot slide objects on mobile device
              TSGal

Ryan Buckley:

My apologies.  My intention was not to replace your script step with another method.  I was merely trying to find out if Print Preview appeared the same as Save as PDF.  This would help me determine what to try next.  If it looks the same, then there's something specific to the printer driver.  If it is different (or appears as expected), then there's something specific to the Save as PDF script step.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Cannot slide objects on mobile device
                RyanBuckley

Thanks TSGal, I'm sorry I didn't understand that. I followed your directions and the PDF is still not viewing as expected. It works/looks fine from the desktop client, but mobile is not sliding.

• 5. Re: Cannot slide objects on mobile device
                  TSGal

Ryan Buckley:

Thank you for testing this out.

When you go to Print, what options are listed?  Make sure the Record Range is set to Found Set, The Page Range is All Pages, the Paper Size is US Letter, and the Orientation is portrait.

Are all objects appearing within the layout?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in replicating the issue.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Cannot slide objects on mobile device
                    RyanBuckley

The options under print are:

Record Range -> Found Set
                         Number Pages From -> 1
                         Page Range -> All Pages
                         ---
                         Paper Size -> US Letter
                         Orientation -> [Portrait]
                         Scale -> 100%
                         Maximum Image DPI -> 150 DPI
                         ---
                         PDF

All objects are appearing on the layout. 

Here is a part of the database. If you go to "List (Mobile)", select records, and then go to export you will see the resulting PDF open...without the objects sliding. "List (Checklist)" is the layout that goes to print preview. I'm sure you'll figure it our from what is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fvssjudfbt68upz/SlideObjectsGoIssue.fmp12

Many thanks!

• 7. Re: Cannot slide objects on mobile device
                      RyanBuckley

Could anyone offer further suggestions? The sample file I provided above will be helpful to see the issue.

• 8. Re: Cannot slide objects on mobile device
                        TSGal

Ryan Buckley:

I apologize for the late reply.  I have downloaded the file, but it asks for a password.  Please submit another file with a full access account using Admin/no password, or send me a private message with the user account and password.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Cannot slide objects on mobile device
                          RyanBuckley

My apologies. I've re-uploaded a new version of the file with no username or password required. Thank you for following up.

• 10. Re: Cannot slide objects on mobile device
                            TSGal

Ryan Buckley:

I am able to replicate the issue with the text being cut-off.  I then noticed that the text box was using merge fields.  If I change the merge fields to regular fields, then the complete text is showing.

Please see your Inbox at the top of this page for more information.

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Cannot slide objects on mobile device
                              RyanBuckley

Ahhh! I never would have thought that would be an issue, but thank you for pointing out the bug. I am sure I can make the necessary changes now. Thank you!

• 12. Re: Cannot slide objects on mobile device
                                philmodjunk

TSGal, what exactly is the issue then? Is it that merge fields will fail to correctly slide up when printing from FM GO? or something else?

• 13. Re: Cannot slide objects on mobile device
                                  TSGal

PhilModJunk:

There is still some discussion about this issue, but for now, mark it as merge fields will not slide up correctly when reducing the enclosing part.  The text is cut-off.  The workaround is to use the fields instead of merge fields.

TSGal
                                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Cannot slide objects on mobile device
                                    philmodjunk

Gotcha. That description sounds strange for the simple reason that any sliding field in FM Pro or GO will "truncate" text that is too large for it as they only shrink, they do not expand, but I'll assume that in this case, the layout text object was large enough but truncated the text anyway.

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this thread. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

1 2 Previous Next