12 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2015 6:11 AM by TSGal

Capitalize first letter of each sentence

alnz

Title

Capitalize first letter of each sentence

Is there a way to activate the auto-cap at the start of each sentence in a text box?

The iPad defaults to this in all other applications and I have got so used to not hitting the Shift key when I am writing sentences in text boxes.

Al

• 1. Re: Capitalize first letter of each sentence
          TSGal

Alan Campbell:

Thank you for your post.

At this time, FileMaker Go does not incorporate the iOS Auto-Capitalization setting in Text fields.  I recommend you enter this into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

These web entries populate a database that is monitored and hosted by our Development and Product Management teams where they are then read and discussed for possible inclusion in a future revision.  Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Capitalize first letter of each sentence
            philmodjunk

It might be possible to gin up a recursive custom function and use it in an auto-enter calculation to capitalize first letters of first words in each sentence. Detecting the end of each sentence by spotting all the possible sentence ending punctuation might be a bit of a challenge though...

• 3. Re: Capitalize first letter of each sentence
              d4creative

What a croc. The Filemaker iOS usage guide makes a blatant claim to using the system auto capitalization. See page 10. This is a bug. The filemaker guide to iOS claims that FM Go uses the system Auto-capitilzation (on page 10) but it's basically a flat-out lie.  http://www.filemaker.com/solutions/ios/docs/fmi_guide_ios_usage_en.pdf

I'm pretty pissed off with the number of little bugs and issues in FM Go right now. It has cost me many, many hours of unbillable time trying to find workarounds to things that are mostly embarrasing dead ends. Fine for the software developers who are hidden away in their offices. They don't have to have the awkward conversation with a client explaining how a function that is part of their everyday life with MS Office is just not possible in a piece of software they've invested thousands of dollars towards development.

• 4. Re: Capitalize first letter of each sentence
                TSGal

David Dennis:

Thank you for your post.

If you enter: "The country is australia", auto-capitalization (if turned on) would display "Australia" as you entered "australia".  As it still stands now, there is no FileMaker preference setting for capitalizing the first word of each sentence in a Text field.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Capitalize first letter of each sentence
                  appt

This is certainly another one of those little irritations specific to FilemakerGo. I too have spent many hours looking for fixes to issues that perhaps should not really exist.

I'm sure many of them will be ironed out in the next version, but what annoys me more than the issues themselves is the fact that no new versions seem forthcoming and no news is ever posted about how long we will have to wait. When other 'apps' get updated several times a month this one goes nowhere. 

Personally I'm waiting for a backup solution that overcomes the 25mb email limit and doesn't require a server. Direct linking to Dropbox would be epic for my solutions. 

• 6. Re: Capitalize first letter of each sentence
                    philmodjunk

Now that I have an iPhone of my own, I must concur that the lack of that built in "auto-capitalize" feature can be quite annoying. I keep having to go back and edit my data entry because I forgot to tap the shift button. This also ranks as an inconsistency in the basic user interface for iOS devices since any other app that I've used so far automatically uses this feature for text entry.

• 7. Re: Capitalize first letter of each sentence
                      d4creative

Dear TSGal.

Turning "australia" into "Australia" is more to do with the spell checker as it is detecting a proper noun from it's dictionary. That also is an iOS level feature but unlike capitalisation it does work. The Filemaker iOS guide still makes a blatant claim to using the iOS auto-capitlisation feature, which according to every other app means detecting the start of a sentence in a field and after a period and space. So this is still a bug and Filemaker is still not doing what it is claimed to do in this regard. The developers should bring it in line with the platform they are developing for.

• 8. Re: Capitalize first letter of each sentence
                        TSGal

David Dennis (et al):

I'm still unsure if this is an issue or "as designed".  That is, on a Mac, there is no option to auto-capitalize in a Text field.  Therefore, I have submitted this entire thread to our Development and Testing departments for review.  However, please also enter this suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form populate a database file that is hosted and monitored by Development and Product Management, where the entries are then discussed and considered for future releases.  Although I could easily copy each posting and paste into the web form, there are some questions on the form that only you can answer.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Capitalize first letter of each sentence
                          TSGal

David Dennis (et al):

I've just been informed that this issue has also been reported by TSFalcon at:

Auto capitalize doesn't work on FM Go for iPad

TSGal
                               FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Capitalize first letter of each sentence
                            philmodjunk

I think the fact that this is not a standard interface feature for mac or windows systems misses the point. It IS a standard interface feature for iOS devices and this diversion from the standard input interface leads to unecessarry data input errors and irritation for those using our FileMaker Go solutions.

• 11. Re: Capitalize first letter of each sentence
                              schamblee

Sorry. To post repost.  I made a sample then it turn out it had to many bugs, that needed fixed.  I believe I have them fixed now.

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D9559058_78149901_915906

• 12. Re: Capitalize first letter of each sentence
                                TSGal

All:

iOS Auto-Capitalization is now supported in FileMaker Go 14.0.1.

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.