AnsweredAssumed Answered

Charting question

Question asked by wedge-eagle on Apr 4, 2013
Latest reply on Apr 4, 2013 by wedge-eagle

Title

Charting question

This should be simple (probably is) - I know one way to do this but it seems overly complex and/or looks in-efficient. One of you very smart people will have a better idea than me - I am sure.

Problem - A Table with a Field (from a pick list) for example - 6 options.  Field="Source of client reference"  Options(pick list) - Internet,radio,word of mouth,referal,pamplet,Paper add.  

Each record will have one of these answers.  Now to chart - "pie or bar not the issue" to get the data in a format that the chart can use -

I need the  Feild title - matching the options and then a Count against each.

Eg

Internet               50

Radio                 23

Word of Mouth 15

Etc..

Graph from this point is easy ... 

but to get to here -

Method I know - calc field (binary) for each option that sets "1" when match for option and the a summary field to tally the "1"'s  - So 12 new Fields plus the titles (in a variable or global) - or can i use the list ?

Other Option (perhaps ?) Relate to new table with 6 records matching options then some sort of Count field (not sure how)

All chart exampls I have found so far seem to use data already in neat numeric pre-formated data arrays pretty much ready to use.  The above seems like a lot of extra work to get to that point in my simple case.  Just seem to be missing a countif type function.  

What the best (and easy to understand) method to use 

Thanks in advance 

Harry

Outcomes