3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2010 3:19 PM by TSGal

Clearing a users Cached file

jungovox

Title

Clearing a users Cached file

Hi TSGal (and other fmgo implementation folk) ...

(RE: We have an order taking system in fm go on the ipad)

quick question - We are hosting fmgo files on on fmserver 11 and updating the user files at night - ...

Problem is controlling the cached file on the users ipad -

Thanks the tip related to extended privs. 'fmrestorelogin' the user can reopen a hosted file on their ipad and they are right where they left it - ... This works very well now. thank YOU

Problem is We majorly update this file every night - and the next day I don't WANT the user to pull up yesterdays file - I want to find a way to force them to close and reopen the file -

Filemaker go specific script steps are not around yet - so any suggestions you have are appreciated.

I'm THINKING - I could tie a script (to many of the scripts that they are apt to hit) that

checks a preset global field for 'file date' and if that doesn't = get(currentdate) I could 'close their file' - Do you think that is a good approach ?

thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Clearing a users Cached file
          TSGal

jungo:

Thank you for your post.

Although there are not specific FileMaker Go script steps, you can use:

Get ( ApplicationVersion)

This returns "Go x.x.x" for the iPhone/iPod touch, and "Go_iPad x.x.x" for the iPad.  This will allow you to execute specific script steps based on this value.  Based on these values, then you could compare Get (CurrentDate) to a variable/field and if it does not equal, ask the user to exit the application and relaunch, or you could force them to quit, but that may prompt users to call you that FileMaker Go suddenly quit.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Clearing a users Cached file
            jungovox

Good info - thanks - ...

By 'force them to quit' do you mean the close file script command ?

that's were I am going - but with a courtesy dialog ... telling them that is what I am doing.

• 3. Re: Clearing a users Cached file
              TSGal

jungo:

Sorry for not being clearer.  I meant the script step "Exit Application".  This forces the application to close down without the client being able to know what has happened.  Does that make sense?

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.