2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2011 3:25 PM by JamesBeale

Collecting Field Data

JamesBeale

Title

Collecting Field Data

Hi all!

We're considering using filemaker pro/go to solve our current database need. I have a few overview questions before I dig into the detail - I was hoping someone might be able to help!!

• We need to collect data from site (including images) often in places with no mobile signal. Is lack or intermittent signal an issue?
      • With no more than 4 users is there any advantage in us having the server software?
      • What optimisation is there for use on the iPhone? i.e. how easy is it to add a photo whilst filling out the data sheet etc.

Thanks for any help or direction you can give me!

• 1. Re: Collecting Field Data
          philmodjunk

We need to collect data from site (including images) often in places with no mobile signal. Is lack or intermittent signal an issue?

This can be a very big issue. Without a link via mobile signal or WiFi, you'd need to collect your data in a local file and then use one method or another to "synch" the data back to you common file on the server. With multiple users modifying the same data, this can become a very complex design issue. The users only generate new data and/or only modify a set of data not accessible to the other users, this would be simpler. Eitehr way, it'll take some thought and scripting to set up and automate.

With no more than 4 users is there any advantage in us having the server software?

Server offers a number of nice features in addition to support for more users. Frequent automatic backups are one such feature, there are others as well. You can pull up the product information for Server and Server Advanced to get a better idea if the features are worth the added cost or not.

What optimisation is there for use on the iPhone? i.e. how easy is it to add a photo whilst filling out the data sheet etc.

On the documents link at the top of this screen, you should be able to find a PDF document with design guidelines for FM Go. You can also check out the FM Go forum here and search it for threads on adding photos via iPhone. As I understand it, it can be done, but requires learning a few steps to get from taking the photo with the phone to then pasting it into a container field in the database.

• 2. Re: Collecting Field Data
            JamesBeale

Phil,

Thanks for the information.

Do you know of any case studies/examples where FMGO has been used to collect field data? It'd be nice to see what other people have done before I get too far into my feasibility!