6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2014 10:59 PM by muzz

Colour picker solution for iOS devices?

muzz

Title

Colour picker solution for iOS devices?

Is there a simple way of allowing a user to assign a choice of colours to a container/object on an iOS device?

I’m trying to make a solution for FM Go that requires the ability to pick a colour combination for a sports team.  I have a container for the team colours with 3 repetitions, and a colour swatch container with 24 colours (repetitions) from which to choose the combination. This works perfectly by drag and drop from the colour swatch container to the team colour container in the desktop (FM Pro), however I can’t find a similar solution for FM Go.

Potentially there may be the need to add another custom colour at some stage. From other posts in this forum I have managed to get a web viewer to show many varying colours using RGB values that can be manipulated, but can’t find a way to get the colours from there into a container field.

I guess I could have 6 web viewers (3 colour combinations each for 2 teams), or script each colour repetition in the swatch to populate the various team colour containers but was hoping there might be something simpler.

Many thanks for having a look at this.

• 1. Re: Colour picker solution for iOS devices?
          philmodjunk

Seems like you should be able to set up a grid of buttons--each a different color and be able to tap them to select the color. The buttons can be container fields, but updating the available list of colors will be much easier to do in FileMaker Pro than in Go--if it can be done at all.

• 2. Re: Colour picker solution for iOS devices?
            muzz

Thanks PhilModJunk,

well I couldn't see the wood for the trees!  The iOS presents a "Cut|Copy|Paste|Delete" dialog when double tapping a container so transferring the coloured objects was easy, but it does expose the user to the container option dialog (the ability to clear the container is a concern) and also the double tapping caused a zoom effect on the iPhone.  However it looks like that can all be controlled through scripts more easily than I first thought, and with separate fields for each colour instead of the receptions I was using.

The ability to use a custom colour looks a bit more difficult to solve at the moment - maybe a photo of the colour taken by the iOS device and inserted into the custom colour container is the easiest way of solving things for now.

Thanks again for your help - it is much appreciated.

• 3. Re: Colour picker solution for iOS devices?
              nilsw

You can use text to create colour fields dynamically by using the block character (small 'n') of the font Zapf Dingbats. Add a calculation field to your layout, format it as 'verdana' 11pt and use the text formatting functions for font face, size (20px) and colour inside the calculation to create the character respectively colour swatch.

Nils

• 4. Re: Colour picker solution for iOS devices?
                muzz

Thanks filemakergarage.  I had a quick look but couldn't make it work.  I could change the colour dynamically but couldn't get the symbol you spoke of to display.  I will keep trying.  The palette of pre-filled colours is working fine but it is the custom colour choice I am still having problems with.

The closest I have come is very inelegant - a web viewer that can change colour via manipulation of R,G and B values, then a screen shot which can be cropped in camera roll, then added to the container as an image.  It works but is a very poor user experience.

• 5. Re: Colour picker solution for iOS devices?
                  nilsw

I uploaded an example File: 

http://tinyurl.com/pjg82mm

Nils

• 6. Re: Colour picker solution for iOS devices?
                    muzz

Thanks so much.  That works perfectly for me.smiley