I am contemplating purchasing several ipads to enhance productivity but am looking for some advise on the best way to implement my idea, and keep my database sync'd (please forgive me if I don't use the correct terminology, I am not a programmer). My situation is this:
- My FM database resides on a single computer connected to the internet through a cable modem.
- I have 4 crews (HVAC Mechanics) with ipads who would manage customers service calls by pulling up the customer entering the service performed and enter the call as complete on the ipad.
- The database on the computer is then sync'd up, the customer's information is updated and the service call billed.
What is the best way to accomplish this:
- Do I use FM server and let the ipad update the information in real time? (is that even possible?)
- When ther service call is complete do I have the technician email the database and update manually?
- Do I install install something like "Go to my PC" on my computer and let the ipad access FM through remote desktop sharing
- Do I create some sort of VPN and let the ipad access FM through instant web publishing?
Or is there a better/simpler way to do it?