1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2014 11:03 AM by user23987

Confirmation of FileMaker GO Bugs

rgordon

Title

Confirmation of FileMaker GO Bugs

I am a huge fan of FileMaker Go 13 but the bugs are starting to really get annoying and are potential deal breakers.  Can somebody confirm if the following are recognized as bugs by FileMaker:

1.  Occasionally if an iPad is not restarted for an extended period of time, FileMaker Go 12 or 13 can not create a PDF file.  I believe it also has trouble creating other types of file.  The only way to solve this is through a restart.

2.  Occasionally if an iPad is not restarted for an extended period of time, FileMaker Go 12 or 13 will display a solid gray block that covers 3/4th of the header in list view.  Fields and buttons are still active put you can not see them unless you enter the field.  Not good for navigation or if you have a delete button in the header.  Along with this problem the Home and Windows options are grayed out. The only way to solve this is through a restart.

3. If you get disconnected from FM Server while a record is not committed, when FM Go 12 or 13 reconnects you will get stuck in a Revert from hell loop.  FM Go record locks itself. You have to force quit the app.  This bug is also potentially destructive to records.

4.  There is no way to tab between fields in a Dialog box.  In FM Go 12 the Return key turned into a Next key.  In FM Go 13 the Return key stays as a Return key which then add a new line to the field in the dialog box.  Very undesirable behavior.

All of these issues have been reported in multiple forums. I believe FileMaker Go has a memory management problem since most of these issue can be solved with a restart of the iPad.  An update would be greatly appreciated since I am counting on these issues to be fixed in what should be a soon to be released update to FileMaker 13.

• 1. Re: Confirmation of FileMaker GO Bugs
          TSGal

rgordon:

1. This has not been reported.  Is the saving of the PDF through a script?  Are you able to view the PDF file via Print -> PDF -> View?  Any other information you can provide would be helpful.

2. One report shows the Body/Header/Footer may be blank if you select an image for background fill, and not selecting an image.  Another issue reported is  a solid color or gradient layout background won't render underneath a transparent Header.  Can you provide more information about the "solid gray block"?  That is, what objects do you have on the Layout?  Is this Form View or List View?  Do you have Web Viewer(s) on the layout?  Any conditional formatting?  Anything to help replicate the issue?

3. This has been previously been reported by you, and Development and Testing are still trying to replicate the issue.  Another Support Technician is also working on this.

4. This issue has also been previously reported by you, Testing has confirmed the issue, and it has been sent to Development for review.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Confirmation of FileMaker GO Bugs
            rgordon

TS Gal,  Thank you for your quick response.

1. This has not been reported.  Is the saving of the PDF through a script?  Are you able to view the PDF file via Print -> PDF -> View?  Any other information you can provide would be helpful.

This issue has been covered a few times in the TechNet forum and I thought I submitted a bug report on this issue.  The saving of the PDF is through a script but you also can not view the PDF file via Print>PDF>View.  You see the name of the pdf but the rest of the screen is blank. I do a lot of testing on an iPad where I'm constantly opening and closing files and running scripts many times for testing purposes.  Once this problem occurs, it can only be solved by a restart.  I think this is a memory management issue on the iPad.

Issue 2.  I've attached a screen shot showing this issue.  This issue is not easily reproduced but I have seen it in multiple files and it has been reported in other forums.  The common denominator is the problem occurs if the iPad has not be restarted in a while.  I've only seen this issue in list view but it is always the same.  3/4th of the header is covered by a gray box.  A restart is the only way to solve it.  There are no conditional formatting issues or webviewers.

Issue 3 is easily reproduced.  Connect to the server.  Leave a record uncommitted and walk away from your WiFI hotspot until the iPad is no longer connected to a network.  The problem occurs when you regain the Wifi signal, FM Go tries to reconnect.  If it reconnects, it record locks itself.  I've even had FM Go record lock itself when working on a locally installed file.  There have been multiple reports of FM Go record locking itself and I would hope that FileMaker is aware of this issue.

• 3. Re: Confirmation of FileMaker GO Bugs
              rgordon

Here is another screen shot demonstrating issue 2.  Notice the Window and Home are grayed out.

• 4. Re: Confirmation of FileMaker GO Bugs
                TSGal

rgordon:

Regarding Issue #1, I have sent your information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  Do you have the link to TechNet?  I'll make sure this also gets reported.

Thank you for the additional information and screen shot for issue #2.  I have sent this information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

As far as the issue #3, FileMaker Server can take up to two minutes to drop a connection.  Therefore, it is possible that if the user tries to connect during this time frame, the second connection is valid and the error is received.  The information has been sent to Development for further review.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Confirmation of FileMaker GO Bugs
                  rgordon

TSGAL, once again thank you for your quick reply.  The PDF issue was reported about a year ago.  http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/6e6bd400a1 . Here is a dev forum post https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/109823#109823 and one more post http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/2e06b8cb07

"As far as the issue #3, FileMaker Server can take up to two minutes to drop a connection.  Therefore, it is possible that if the user tries to connect during this time frame, the second connection is valid and the error is received."

Understood but FileMaker Server needs to do a better job of keeping track of the client IDs for a reconnect.  This has only become a problem since FM GO has the magical ability to reconnect to the Server after a disconnect.  If it is going to allow reconnects, it should never allow record locking itself.  At the very least it should disallow a reconnect if there is a faulty record locking issue because the user gets stuck in a revert loop with no apparent way to get out of the loop.  I have redesigned my solution, to minimize the possibility of having an uncommitted record.

• 6. Re: Confirmation of FileMaker GO Bugs
                    TSGal

rgordon:

Regarding issue #2, our Testing department would like to get a copy of the file to work with it and compare settings and what your scripts are doing that may cause the issue.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Confirmation of FileMaker GO Bugs
                      TSGal

rgordon:

Thank you for the other links.  The two on the FileMaker forum from last year were obviously overlooked.  We'll need to do better.

All three links have been attached to the report.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Confirmation of FileMaker GO Bugs
                        rgordon

I've seen this issue in multiple files.  I'll send the most recent file that had the problem.  The script is a simple one step Go to layout.

• 9. Re: Confirmation of FileMaker GO Bugs
                          mdaracz

2. I can confirm that solid gray block happens for my users as well, exactly like on the provided screen shots.  I have 30 users on the ipads and its incredibly frustrating. One thing that fixes the issues is simply rotating the ipad's screen and rotating it back. 

I would like to add that built in barcode functionality breaks after multiple scans and hard reset is necessary to get it going again. (I know this was reported in other forums)  Aside from that I am loving the new update, but would love to tell my client (with 40 ipads)when this issues will be addressed. TS GAL any update when we can see newer version of GO that addresses these issues?

• 10. Re: Confirmation of FileMaker GO Bugs
                            TSGal

md100:

Thank you for your post.

Our Testers would also like to get a copy of your file.  Please check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Confirmation of FileMaker GO Bugs
                              philmodjunk

When scanning barcodes, are you also using insert from device to insert pictures from the same camera? That's a known, documented issue for Insert From Device.

• 12. Re: Confirmation of FileMaker GO Bugs
                                mdaracz

Yep, thats correct. 

• 13. Re: Confirmation of FileMaker GO Bugs
                                  rgordon

I did a lot of testing today on the scanning problems on the iPad and iPhone. I used two barcodes (the small apple product barcode found on an iPad box and a half inch high code 39 barcode).  Here is what I found

1. The iphone 5s never was able to scan the barcode but you could take a photo of the barcode and get the barcode from the photo

2.  The iPad air could scan the barcode but not consistently

3.  Both devices had no trouble scanning the code 39 half inch high barcode

Here is where things got interesting

4.  Once you cancel the scan on the apple barcode, the iPhone lost its ability to scan any barcode.  It could not scan the code 39.  The only way I found to resolve it was to restart the App.  The iPad also had this problem but not 100% of the time like the iPhone

5.  If you insert a photo in a container field, both the devices lost the ability to scan any barcode.  You had to restart to correct this issue. Once the camera is used to take a photo, it seems like the barcode scanner thinks it is the camera but you have no button to take the scan so nothing happens

6.  Occasionally when you would try to insert a photo from the iPhone camera the camera screen would go black.  The only way i found to solve this issue is to restart the App.

I don't think the issue is with the iPhone since other barcode scanning Apps have no problem with the small apple barcode.  The camera is fully capable of taking a picture of a small barcode.

• 14. Re: Confirmation of FileMaker GO Bugs
                                    TSGal

rgordon:

Several users have reported the inability to scan after taking a picture using the same camera (front or back).  That is, if you take a picture with the back camera, and then try to scan with the back camera, it will not work.  If you take a picture with the front camera, you will then be able to scan with the back camera.  Our Development and Testing teams are aware of this issue.  One of these customer posts can be found at:

Insert from Device(Bar Code) doesn't scan after Inserting from Camera

I have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

Regarding Code 3 of 9, I am having no difficulty scanning.  When I perform a search for barcode 39 and click Images, I am able to scan any of the examples displayed with my iPod touch and iPhone 4 (I do not have an iPhone 5 to test).  Can you check to make sure you are not taking a picture with the same camera prior to scanning?

After I canceled a scan, I was able to go back and run the script to scan again without any issue.  This was successful under the iPod touch and iPhone 4.

Can you verify that a picture wasn't taken with the same camera between the canceled scan and next attempt?

TSGal
                                         FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next