4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2010 2:52 PM by slb14

Confused on new features with 1.1.1

slb14

Title

Confused on new features with 1.1.1

I installed 1.1.1, and I am a bit confused as to how the new features are accessed.

Opening the sample database, I can use print/PDF, etc when I click on the picture in the sample records.

When I open my personal databases, I can not see these options anywhere.

I need a little guidance - I'm just not seeing what I need to do in order to access these great new features!

Thanks,

Scott

• 1. Re: Confused on new features with 1.1.1
          rmanook

slb14:

Thanks for posting.

Just to verify, are you accessing your personal databases via FileMaker Go or are you working with them while in FileMaker Pro?

If you are accessing your personal databases via FileMaker Go, tapping into the container field in FileMaker Go gives you the new 1.1.1 features: Choose From Library, Take a Photo, Open, and Email.  

For more PDF specific features in FileMaker Go, click on the Gear Icon in the upper right hand corner of FileMaker Go, select Send/Save, and then choose PDF.

Any additional information you can provide would be helpful in terms of how you are accessing the file or steps to reproduce will help narrow down the issue.

Thanks, 
          tsturtle
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Confused on new features with 1.1.1
            slb14

Thank you for the quick reply.

Databases on the iPad using FM Go.

What is a "container"?

I just found the gear options, but was confused as the screen shots show this feature via a click and hold operation.  I can not make that work on my databases?

Also, it appears that when you do a "save" you can not name the files, which is something that really should be added.

Thanks so far...

Scott

• 3. Re: Confused on new features with 1.1.1
              rmanook

slb14:

In FileMaker Pro, you could add a container field to your database (as opposed to say a text or number field) to store images, movies, sound files, etc.  So when you're tapping on the picture in FileMaker Go's Sample Inventory database, you are actually tapping into the container field and viewing it's previous (Cut, Copy, Paste, or Delete) and new features (Choose from Library, Take a Photo, Open, Email).

Because of this, if your personal databases do not have container fields, you would not see the container field options.  For example, if you were tapping into a text field you would not see a window with Choose from Library, Take a Photo, Open or Email.

Additionally, FileMaker Go 1.1.1 features the ability to Save, Send, and View PDF files.  This feature is located in the Gear icon > Save/Send > PDF area (aside from using the Save Records as PDF script step).

If you are attempting to save a PDF or a database, it must go through this process unless, as previously noted, you created a script with the Save Records as PDF or Save a Copy as script step.

Hope this helps,

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Confused on new features with 1.1.1
                slb14

Thank you.  That explains it.

I appreciate the help.

Scott