8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2010 7:47 AM by TSGal

Connecting GO to iMAC through LAN or Mobileme

PhilipRand

Title

Connecting GO to iMAC through LAN or Mobileme

I just purchased the most recent FM Go for my iPhone 4, now connected to an iMAC. Looking for files in copy from the iMAC, I created the host (my LAN number, and your forum told me how to find that). In the iMAC, I opened an FMPro11 database, and still "no files found". In GO instructions, I can't find the means to transfer files from the iMAC to the device, and there is no mention of using MobileMe (if so, how could I tell the iPhone to use MobileMe?). 

Help earnestly requested.

Philip

• 1. Re: Connecting GO to iMAC through LAN or Mobileme
          TSGal

Philip Rand:

Thank you for your post.

When you first launch FileMaker Go, tap the "?" icon in the upper left corner.  Tap the option "Transferring Files" to see the different methods of transferring files from a Mac to your iPhone.  Also, click on the option "Connecting to Databases" to use FileMaker Go as a client to hosted files on your iMac.  Let me know more about your system settings, and I'll help you determine what is causing you to not see your file on the iMac.

You would need to find a way to move a file from your MobileMe account to your iPhone.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Connecting GO to iMAC through LAN or Mobileme
            PhilipRand

Many thanks for quick reply with apologies for my delays: I'm with you on the above instructions. It is not quite clear to me, however, when I check and double-check my LAN ip that the device gives me "no files". (Surely attributable to my inexperience with network connections). 

System settings - not quite sure which, but I'll give you the hardware involved: iMAC, intel, 4 GB RAM 2.4 G Intel Dual core

New iPhone 4, 3 Com router

"Airport connected" in "settings", and I assume you don't need the DNS, IP numbers.

After I had howled on the forum, I found the files in iTunes, which, strangely, had not appeared in an earlier attempt, but I found them. 

I'll track down MobileMe and "persecute" their forums, with thanks for your advice... my device gives me iDisk, but I don't find a way FROM THE DEVICE to upload or download files. 

Your advice was extremely helpful, and my appreciation great. 

P

• 3. Re: Connecting GO to iMAC through LAN or Mobileme
              TSGal

Philip Rand:

Thanks for the additional information.

To move database files from your iPhone, connect your iPhone to your Mac and launch iTunes.  Select your device on the left side of the iTunes window.  On the right side, select the "Apps" tab.  Scroll down to "File Sharing" section, and select "FileMaker Go" under Apps.  On the right side, it will display the "FileMaker Go Documents".  Select the document(s) you want to transfer and click "Save to...".  Specify the folder where you want the file saved and click "Open".  The file from your iPhone will then be transferred to your Mac.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Connecting GO to iMAC through LAN or Mobileme
                BobFlowers

TSGal,

I too have a similar dilemma.

Although your process as outlined in an answer to Phillip Rand, may solve that specific problem, mine is almost identical, with the exception that I want it to 'sync' automatically without any intervention by the end user.

That is to say, I do not want to follow this procedure:

"To move database files from your iPhone, connect your iPhone to your Mac  and launch iTunes.  Select your device on the left side of the iTunes  window.  On the right side, select the "Apps" tab.  Scroll down to "File  Sharing" section, and select "FileMaker Go" under Apps.  On the right  side, it will display the "FileMaker Go Documents".  Select the  document(s) you want to transfer and click "Save to...".  Specify the  folder where you want the file saved and click "Open".  The file from  your iPhone will then be transferred to your Mac."

What I'd like to do is POINT the specified folder to either DropBox or any folder for that matter, and for the FileMaker Pro database file that is constantly being updated and used to be able to be also updated on the iPad, by just pointing to the file and location (which should never change).....but the filename is the same, but the loctation has to physically be selected to choose (with a warning that it's of a different timestamp, etc.), and so forth.

Bottom line is it's a simple, less then 3Mb database with 2,000+ records that needs to stay in sync from the PC to the iPad with no end user intervenion other than pluggin in the iPad to sync normally.

Can I achieve this in any way, shape or form?

• 5. Re: Connecting GO to iMAC through LAN or Mobileme
                  TSGal

Bob Flowers:

Thank you for your post.

At this time, FileMaker Go does not perform any kind of syncing.  You can either use FileMaker Go to access a file on the network, or you can open a file locally on the iPad.  With Dropbox, you still have to move the file to the iPad directly to open.  For more information about Dropbox, see Knowledge Base Article #7769 at:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7769

Please enter your sync suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

These web entry suggestions are read by our Development and Product Management departments who then discuss and consider them for a future release.  Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are some additional questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Connecting GO to iMAC through LAN or Mobileme
                    MarcusCarlstedt

I have read the above articles, but I can't find the answer to my specific question concerning MobileMe/iDisk.

I would like to access my FM database stored on iDisk and work directly on it, without copying the file and without publishing it on the net (in any other way than just store the original file on iDisk).

Is that possible? (I can't try, because I am actually waiting for the reply before buying FM Go)

• 7. Re: Connecting GO to iMAC through LAN or Mobileme
                      BobFlowers

Marcus has explaind it possibly better than I, this is exactly what I'd like to do, automated, etc., without purchasing a "Server" version of FileMaker Pro, as well as just syncing my iPad/iPhone and having the db update from the PC/Mac.

• 8. Re: Connecting GO to iMAC through LAN or Mobileme
                        TSGal

Marcus Carlstedt:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Go can either access the file locally (on the iPad/iPhone/iPod touch) or via a network.  If you try to access a database file on an iDisk or Dropbox, a copy will be downloaded to the iPad/iPhone/iPod touch.  You will then need to copy the file back to iDisk or Dropbox.

Bob Flowers:

Thank you for your post.

You would not have to purchase FileMaker Server.  FileMaker Pro can also host files over the network.

As stated above, FileMaker Go does not have any type of syncing.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.