5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2010 9:26 AM by Steve Wright

Connecting to a remote database

jacquesz

Title

Connecting to a remote database

If I can connect to a remote database from FileMaker Pro Advanced using File > Open Remote... then in my Favorite Hosts click on a link similar to this: fmnet:/79.198.110.115/192.168.1.140/Directory.fp7 What should I use in FM Go to open the same file? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Connecting to a remote database
          TSGal

Jacques Zovighian:

Thank you for your post.

If you are running FileMaker Go on an iPhone or iPod touch, tap "Open File Browser..." and then tap "Add Host...".  Enter the Host IP Address or name, save it, and the host will appear under Favorite Hosts.  Tap the IP Address and all files open on that host will be listed.  Tap the file you want to use.  When finished, you can either go back to finding the file under Favorite Hosts, or it will be displayed in the Recent Files list.

If you are running FileMaker Go on an iPad, the instructions are similar, but the display is different.  Tap the icon in the upper right with a plus sign to add the Host Address.  Once created, it will appear under Favorite Hosts.  Once the file has been selected and closed, it will then appear under Recent Files.

Let me know if you need clarification from any of the above steps.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Connecting to a remote database
            jacquesz

Thanks for your response!

I might not be entering the correct IP address, it's not working! So if I can connect to a remote database from FileMaker Pro Advanced using: File > Open Remote... then in my Favorite Hosts click on a link similar to this: fmnet:/79.198.110.115/192.168.1.140/Directory.fp7 (Not actual link!)

How should I enter the Host IP address in FM Go, to open the same file? If I enter it in this format 79.198.110.115/192.168.1.140 it doesn't work! 

Thanks, again!

• 3. Re: Connecting to a remote database
              jacquesz

Just found out how to to it! Working fine now! I only had to enter the IP address and nothing else! Thanks!

• 4. Re: Connecting to a remote database
                lessor

I just purchased the app for the iPad and can access files via Wifi but not 3G . In addition, is the only way to access files is to have filemaker open in the hosting computer

• 5. Re: Connecting to a remote database
                  Steve Wright

I just purchased the app for the iPad and can access files via Wifi but not 3G . 

When connecting via 3G you are not on your local network, therefore you need to ensure you are you using your WAN IP address.
                  If this is static, you should have no issues, if it is dynamic, you will need to keep on top of it since it can change.

You may also have to setup port forwarding on your router, so that port 5003 is forwarded to your host machine, not sure if any other ports are required, but this worked for me.

In addition, is the only way to access files is to have filemaker open in the hosting computer

This is the case for any client accessing hosted data.  FileMaker pro must be open, unless of course you are sharing with FileMaker Server in which case it runs in the background as a service.  But its still running.