3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2012 8:04 AM by JessicaMcCord

Container Field - Photos stored on server

JessicaMcCord

Title

Container Field - Photos stored on server

We have been using FileMaker Pro for the past 10 years...we recently upgraded to FM Pro 12. We have always saved our images in a certain location on our server and inserted photos by storing as a reference to the file. 

Now that we are more mobile, we have an agent who sometimes connects in through the FM Go app on his iPad, so he is not conected directly to our server and therefore cannot properly store and "link" the photos. So far he has just been e-mailing the pictures to me and I have been saving them in the correct folder and linking to the correct FM record.

How are we supposed to handle images when using the FM Go app? 

• 1. Re: Container Field - Photos stored on server
          TSGal

Jessica McCord:

Thank you for your post.

When you store the Container contents on a server, other Macs would only be able to see those Container contents if they mount that server to their machine.  With FileMaker Go, you cannot access Container files located on another server.  If customers want to attach photos to a record in FileMaker Go, then they should take a picture and attach it to the Container field.  This then becomes part of the file, which you can then later search for and move the file out of the Container and onto the server and link as a reference.  Or, you can use the same method of the agent emailing your the file.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Container Field - Photos stored on server
            philmodjunk

you can then later search for and move the file out of the Container and onto the server and link as a reference.

And this process can be automated with a script.

• 3. Re: Container Field - Photos stored on server
              JessicaMcCord

Thanks.  It sounds like we should just continue with our current method of the agent sending the pictures to me via e-mail.