4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2012 1:18 PM by Sorbsbuster

Container Field in Custom Dialogue Crashes the file

Sorbsbuster

Title

Container Field in Custom Dialogue Crashes the file

I'm trying to work my way around FM Go.  I have an application that allows Field Engineers to collect service jobs from HQ and report on them in the field.  They need to collect signatures for work completed.  I thought it would be interesting click a button and have a custom dialogue offer a container field to collect the signature.  Having little->zero exposure to FMGo, and iPads, I hoped the magic would flow and when I tapped on the field in the dialogue it would offer me the 'Sign here' feature.

Tapping on the dialogue field simply crashes the file.  Is it just me?

• 1. Re: Container Field in Custom Dialogue Crashes the file
          TSGal

Sorbsbuster:

Thank you for your post.

From your description, it is still difficult to determine what is causing the problem.

Is the database file local or accessed remotely?  Do you have other files where this is working properly?  Have you tried a new layout (not a duplicated layout) with the Container field?  If you create a new Container field, are you then able to access the Signature?  In essence, I'm trying to narrow the focus to either the application, the file, the layout, and/or the field.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Container Field in Custom Dialogue Crashes the file
            Sorbsbuster

Thanks for your help, TSGal.  As I say, just starting using FMGo in earnest - and not sure if I'm doing something that is not expected.  I want to collect a signature on the iPad.  But I wanted to collect it via an explanatory Custom Dialogue, with a global text field to collect the typed name, and a global container field to collect the signature.  I was hoping that if I tapped on the gText field (as the first user input field in the dialogue) it would throw up the keyboard in anticipation of typing, and if I then tapped on the gContainer (as the second user input field in the dialogue) it would offer to capture the signature, just as it would if it was tapped on the layout.

Should that work?  If you tell me it should I will double-check your questions in detail.

• 3. Re: Container Field in Custom Dialogue Crashes the file
              Sorbsbuster

Here is a sample file http://www.4shared.com/file/DHuzQQDg/FMGo_Crash_Test.html

It doesn't matter if you try and use global or standard fields in the dialogue. Trying to commit the entries crashes the app.  I didn't try removing the container field from the dialogue.  It's disappointing that the text field offers the keyboard when it is tapped in to, but the container does not offer the same option for signature capture, for example, as when tapped on a layout.

Is the database file local or accessed remotely?  No.  Locally on the iPad.
                   Do you have other files where this is working properly?  No; see sample
                   Have you tried a new layout (not a duplicated layout) with the Container field?  Yes - see sample
                   If you create a new Container field, are you then able to access the Signature?  Yes - even the same container field, but on the layout, not in the dialogue box

• 4. Re: Container Field in Custom Dialogue Crashes the file
                Sorbsbuster

I tried the simplest possible Custom Dialogue with a one-text-field input.  I can type in the field but as soon as I try and commit it it crashes.

FMGo version 1.2.4 build date 22/11/2011

Updated to version 11.0.2 20 August 2012

Problem solved.  Thank you.