9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2013 12:13 PM by robbybutler

Container Field Problem After FMGO 12 Update

user14040

Title

Container Field Problem After FMGO 12 Update

I have a problem after the FMGo 12 update,

I am using a container field to record audio, the problem I am having now is when I play the audio it says (The file "?" could not be opened. (Not Found) but when I go to FMPro 12 on desktop the file is their and I can export and listen to it.  it just will not play on the Ipad.

I did everything I could think of, I tried to just store the audio recording on the Ipad by unchecking the store container data externally and I even created a new field as a container field to record audio but it still says the same thing file can not be found.  It was working before the update now it's not.

Maybe it requires a fix or maybe someone can suggestion a solution to my problem

Thanks

• 1. Re: Container Field Problem After FMGO 12 Update
          videojanitor

I can't help you, but just wanted to say that I am having the exact same problem, only with PDFs. I posted a message about it but no responses yet. I have a feeling this is a bug in FM Go 12.

• 2. Re: Container Field Problem After FMGO 12 Update
            philmodjunk

What storage options where specified for the field and which were selected when the file was inserted? Was "store a reference" specified?

• 3. Re: Container Field Problem After FMGO 12 Update
              videojanitor

Not in my case. That option was UNchecked. I've tried making a few new "test" databases, and have the same problem with container fields.

• 4. Re: Container Field Problem After FMGO 12 Update
                TSGal

Larry Williams and videojanitor:

Thank you for your posts.

For both of you, create a new database file and name it "Test.fmp12".  Create a Container field.  In Layout mode, select the Container field, view the Inspector, click the Data tab, and set the Container field to optimize for Interactive content.

Next, return to Browse mode, add one record, pull down the Insert menu and select either Insert -> Audio/Video (Larry Williams) or Insert -> PDF (videojanitor).

In the Import dialog box, make sure the checkbox for "Store only a reference to the file" is unchecked, and select your sound/PDF file.

Commit the record, share the file, and then access the file via FileMaker Go.  Let me know if you are then able to access the file.

Keep me updated with the results.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Container Field Problem After FMGO 12 Update
                  user14040

Thanks for responding adding audio and PDF's does work but what I found is V12 FileMaker Go uses up a lot of resources when creating PDF's,  in my solution each pdf created has a number after it so it is different from the pervious PDF created.  

In FieMkaer Go 11, I could create a lot of PDF's with no problems of course it was a hassle deleting them one by one but everything worked fine, now with V12 i can only create about 5 PDF before FM Go 12 starts to have problems, the problems include not showing the PDF in the email, when opening a PDF, the PDF is blank, container field says no file found.   

What I have to do to solve the problem is delete all the PDF that is saved within FMGO 12 and close all apps and restart my Ipad.  One suggestion I received was to have the PDF save as the same name I cound do that with some solutions but others I need to have a numbering system to disquish the PDF's from each other.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Container Field Problem After FMGO 12 Update
                    TSGal

Larry Williams:

Thanks for the additional information.

From your description, it appears there is memory related, as yo have to restart FileMaker Go again.  Approximately, how large are the PDF files?

What other applications do you have running at the time (besides Mail)?

iOS does not allow the overwriting of files, so if you try to save the file with the same name, a "1" will be appended to the filename.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Container Field Problem After FMGO 12 Update
                      user14040

The largest PDF file is 417kb and the smallest is 52KB i could create at least 25-50 PDF (52KB) in the first version of FMGo V12, now I am down to just 5 before I have to restart.

I sometimes have about 5-10 apps open when using FMGo but Ive been trying to remember to close the apps when using FMGo not successfully though.

I am using the New Ipad LTE 64g

If I remember correctly when creating PDF it always copied over the previous PDF that's why I had to  use a script which uses a global field + 1.  It's been awhile but I believe at one time it did copy over the same file maybe it has changed since FMGO 11

thanks

• 8. Re: Container Field Problem After FMGO 12 Update
                        TSGal

Larry Williams:

Thanks for the additional information.

Having "5-10 apps open" should be fine.  If you can give me an idea what apps you have open, I'll try to reproduce the problem.

If you can test this without any other apps running, it will also give me a starting baseline.

Assuming you are still crashing with no other applications open, I would like to see a copy of the database file in case there is something specific with the database file, the PDF files, etc.  Please check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file(s).

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Container Field Problem After FMGO 12 Update
                          robbybutler

TSGal,

Thank you for your guidance here on Aug 10th to the inspector settings for optimizing container fields for interactive content and immediate playback.

I am trying to develop a tool to assist my disabled son in learning to read by "saying" words which he then matches on the screen.

On the Mac side this works as desired with imported sound AND sound recorded via the iPad with FM Go.

Alternately I can make this work on the Mac with sound recorded directly into the container field on my Mac by selecting and "performing" the field, but this doesn't work for imported sounds or those recorded in FM Go.

But unless I am missing something, the "interaction" interface on the iPad is too cumbersome to use in the way I had hoped. Sounds won't play immediately upon moving to the desired record, but an "Action" menu is presented where "Play" has to be pressed, then the full screen is cleared while the sound is played.

I would be grateful to know if and when this is improved. Thanks!