2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2012 2:51 PM by TSGal

Container file locations in FM Go

SuzieMuchnick

Title

Container file locations in FM Go

Wondering how to transition an FM database to  make it useful in FMGo on the iPhone. Specifically, what to do about photos that are stored separatly from the database file.

There are at least two messy issues and a not-so-messy issue:

1. The database references thousands of photos in an external 'data' folder. This is as far as I know standard design for FM Pro. But what about accessing the DB from Go? How does the DB on Go know where to find the images? Are they copied to the device? If so how does Go know where to find them? 

2. The reason that the photos are in an external file is size. There are thousands of images totaling about 4G. Should I make a lower-res version of the images for use by Go?

3. Finally a related Go question. In FM Pro, clicking on a small version of an image in List View brings up the high-res version of the image via normal scrpt steps. Clicking on the hig-res version, naturally, takes the user back to the low-res preview in List View. How does this work in Go? Ok on fingering the low-res image and getting the high-res, but how do I take users back to the low-res version?

• 1. Re: Container file locations in FM Go
          SuzieMuchnick

opps! Nobody!? Maybe I didn't phrase my question very clearly…?

• 2. Re: Container file locations in FM Go
            TSGal

Suzie Muchnick:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

If the database file is accessed remotely with FileMaker Go, the images will be referenced at the host computer and the image sent down to FileMaker Go for viewing.

If the database file is local, then the image cannot be viewed since it is being referenced on the Mac computer.  To view Container information locally, the contents will need to be embedded; not referenced.  You could import smaller images into another Container field that would only be used by FileMaker Go.

When you tap on the image contents of a Container field, you are presented with the options to view full screen, Replace, Export, or Delete.  If you view full screen, then at the top left corner of the display is "Done", which returns you back to where you came.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.