6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2011 4:52 AM by ChrisMarriott

Continue with open files

carlsson_1

Title

Continue with open files

(Sorry if this have been discussed, it's impossible to perform a Search in only the FM Go Forum)

It annoys me to death that FM Go asks *every* time if I want to continue using the latest open files!! The default should be to open the latest, with a Cancel slider. 

Is it possible to change this behavior?

• 1. Re: Continue with open files
          TSGal

carlsson:

Thank you for your post.

If you don't close a file, then the next time you launch FileMaker Go, it will ask you to continue using the last file that was left open.  If you are just multi-switching between applications, then you should not be prompted.

I would also recommend reading the FileMaker Go Technical Brief at:

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-go/docs/techbrief_filemaker_go_121_en.pdf

Towards the bottom of page 10, you will find information about the "fmrestorelogin" extended privilege.  If you set this up, you will not prompt you for the user name and password.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Continue with open files
            carlsson_1

I am being prompted even if I just switch to another App, and then back again...

The user/password dialogue is not a problem, since I am using a local file with no pass.

I am certain that this behavior is intentional from Filemaker Inc's part, I just wish it wasn't this way. If you use FM Go several times a day, reporting time, you will soon be frustrated by this. (And yes, I will leave feeback about it soon...)

(also annoyed by the fact that it's not possible to attach a picture to posts in theses forums)

The dialogue says that I "quit". I haven't, I just switched to another app. Am I doing something wrong?

• 3. Re: Continue with open files
              TSGal

carlsson:

Thank you for the additional information.

From the FileMaker Go Home page, tap the wrench icon in the upper right corner.  The fourth item listed is Auto-Restore Login.  Set this to the ON position, and you will no longer be prompted.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Continue with open files
                carlsson_1

THANK YOU! :D

• 5. Re: Continue with open files
                  ChrisMarriott
                  I'm having the same issues.  Auto-login is not working, even when multi-tasking.  Every time I leave the app for even a second, I have to log back in with my username and password. The auto-login setting is turned on as per the instructions above. I'm connecting to a hosted database on a FileMaker 11 server. From the behavior of FileMaker Go with hosted files, I'm guessing that auto-login doesn't work at all.  Can someone confirm this? If auto-login doesn't work with hosted files, man, what a head-ache.  Not being able to multi-task without logging back in each time is making FileMaker Go very hard to use and even harder to recommend. Hope to get an answer; hope auto-login for hosted files is going to work soon! Chris
                  • 6. Re: Continue with open files
                    ChrisMarriott
                    I figured out what I was missing - the Extended Priviledge Set 'fmrestorelogin' as well as setting the hosted file not to automatically open with a particular user account. Once I added the keyword fmautorestart to the extended privileges and applied that to my users, I can access a hosted FM DB from my iPad without entering the username and password every time I multi-task. Chris