7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2012 9:14 AM by disabled_JackRodgers

Create a remainder or alarm on Iphone or Ipad

SimonAbadi

Title

Create a remainder or alarm on Iphone or Ipad

Hi, I would like to know if its possible to create a remainder or alarm on filemaker go and "transfer" that information to the Iphone or Ipad so the user will receive the remainder from the Iphone/Ipad and not from filemaker go script

Thanks

• 1. Re: Create a remainder or alarm on Iphone or Ipad
          JeffreyMarkham

Hi Simon,

I don't believe this is possible .. however ...

I, too, would like to have this capability built into Filemaker Go .. in fact, it would be
               great to be able to access any CalDAV calendar / note / "To Do" account (iCloud or
               other). In Filemaker Pro, I did purchase the iCal plug-in from Productive Computing and
               have been succesful in integrating that with Filemaker. However, it doesn't work with
               Filemaker Go.

We use our iPads to enter orders in for future rental / delivery and being able to automatically
               add, modify and delete such entries would be very powerful in the field.

I could almost work around the limitation by having a "Perform Remote Script" that could invoke
               the given script name on the hosting system ... but for now, I'm working around it with a timer.

jeff

• 2. Re: Create a remainder or alarm on Iphone or Ipad
            TSGal

Simon Abadi and Jeffrey Markham:

Thank you for your posts.

Under Mac OS X, Apple supplies an application programming interface that allows applications to integrate with iCal (Calendar under Mountain Lion).  However, this interface does not exist under iOS, so any attempt to integrate with Calendar on iPad/iPhone is not possible.  That is why the Productive Computing plug-in will work under Mac OS X, but not under iOS.

Until this changes, use a reminder/alarm script in FileMaker Go.

TSGal
                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Create a remainder or alarm on Iphone or Ipad
              SimonAbadi

Hi Jeffrey, thank you very much for your response. I agree, would be great if we can access the iphone/Ipad’s calendar from Filemaker Go. If something comes up I will let you know.

Thanks again

Simon Abadi

• 4. Re: Create a remainder or alarm on Iphone or Ipad
                JeffreyMarkham

Hey TSGal,

Being an IOS developer, I'm quite certain that Apple has provided the EventKit framework
                     since iOS 4.

Please see: http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#DOCUMENTATION/EventKit/Reference/EventKitFrameworkRef/_index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40009662

Sincerely

Jeff

• 5. Re: Create a remainder or alarm on Iphone or Ipad
                  JeffreyMarkham

Just to make sure I'm not crazy, checked with my friend .. and iCal on the iPhone and iPad use

EventKit .. so there's no reason why FIlemaker couldn't provide such a scripting interface. And it would

super powerful if you could do so...

thanks

jeff

• 6. Re: Create a remainder or alarm on Iphone or Ipad
                    TSGal

Jeffrey Markham:

You are correct.  EventKit will access Calendar under iOS.  I was looking at Sync Services on the Mac (used to access iCal), which has been deprecated and does not work under iOS.  My apologies.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Create a remainder or alarm on Iphone or Ipad

A bit late but a script can be written that can be performed on Go or Pro that would access a hosted file under Pro or Server and ask it to check for the timer values in question.

Perform Script (on hosted file, Check alarm)
                           get script result(from the host sent using exit script)

Check Alarm:
                           do stuff
                           Exit Script(with the values you want)

Exit Script(xxxx) works like a reverse perform script with parameters