9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2015 12:13 AM by schamblee

Create Folder in FileMaker Go 13

tikidewey

Title

Create Folder in FileMaker Go 13

Does anyone know if there is a way to create folders in FileMakerGo 13.

I have multiple FM databases for different purposes and users kept opening the wrong databases. It would be helpful if it can be organized by folders.

• 1. Re: Create Folder in FileMaker Go 13
          schamblee

No you can not create folders in Filemaker Go.  You can create webclips which is an icon your home screen which will load the database. Your device can have a folder that contains related apps / webclips.  I modified the App Maker database to work with ios8 and you can download it from this link https://www.dropbox.com/s/kga91scjyo7wejv/App%20Maker.fmp12?dl=0

• 2. Re: Create Folder in FileMaker Go 13
            tikidewey

Thank you for the quick response. FileMaker Go App Marker is a workaround to organize multiple databases since FileMaker Go cannot create folders from within.

However, my situation and I apologize for my unclear description, I have 2 database files that is needed to connect with its own utility file named GoZyncMobile.

Example:

'A' database file needs to connect to GoZyncMobile file directing to ip address 71.77.67.155 in external data source

'B' database file needs to connect to GoZyncMobile file directing to ip address 81.77.88.165 in external data source

Unfortunately, GoZyncMobile file cannot be rename as GoZyncMobile1 and GoZyncMobile2

In FileMaker Pro, we can have folders that contain same file name with no conflict. I wish this can be done in FileMaker Go in some workaround way to solve my issue.

Again, I thank you for S Chamblee's help and advise.

I am hoping someone has this similar situation and have solution for it.

• 3. Re: Create Folder in FileMaker Go 13
              schamblee

I have only used the GoZync demo under some test conditions.   I will have to take a look at it again. I don't know enough about GoZync to be much help with  it.  SeedCode has a forum for their products. http://www.seedcode.com/support/viewforum.php?f=38&sid=29d8cf9a2e49636ca1d312b867e0b69d

• 4. Re: Create Folder in FileMaker Go 13
                tikidewey

At this time right now, SeedCode knows about my situation. Will they be able to do something about it, that is an unknown.

I already submit a request to FileMaker for creating folder in FileMaker Go which is another unknown.

Unfortunately, my company is already thinking of putting a 3rd FMS in TX.

SeedCode should not assume client only have 1 FMS connection only.

FileMaker Go should have create folder function so that databases are better organize.

At this time , my only solution is to install FileMaker Go 12 and 13 within the same iPad and separate the 2 apps directing to it own GoZyncMobile file. But when the FMS in TX comes alive, I will not know what to do then.

• 5. Re: Create Folder in FileMaker Go 13
                  schamblee

Well, I don't think you can really blame either company.  There is not many files that Go can handle so there has not been a big need to have folders, in the Filemaker Go file area.  Seedcode has to protect their work so they can get paid, which limits what they can let be changed in the hosted database.  The database has relationship established with the remote databases, and if the name changes on the remote database it would break the relationship. These relationships handles the transferring of your data. 

You could place the files in different folders in dropbox then copy the desire file from dropbox to Filemaker Go.  The problem with this method is that you will have to make sure you delete the old file from Go or that you replace the old file with the new file (That you have the correct GoZyncmobile file).  

• 6. Re: Create Folder in FileMaker Go 13
                    Markus Schneider

There is no wa to create a folder under iOS. Local files are all in the same directory

• 7. Re: Create Folder in FileMaker Go 13
                      schamblee

Apps can be designed to have folders to store files.  Take a look at dropbox which has folders and yes dropbox works on ios devices.

• 8. Re: Create Folder in FileMaker Go 13
                        Markus Schneider

Yes - but not the OS itself (without jailbreak) - and FileMaker Go relies on the pure OS.

To be more clear: There is a feature request needed for this, FileMaker doesn't support folders inside the FileMaker (documents-folder)

• 9. Re: Create Folder in FileMaker Go 13
                          schamblee

To be more clear:  If you had read the posts above,  MEEOWW already stated, which I already knew that folders couldn't be created in the iOS, and MEEOWW already stated they had made a feature request.  The question was "could you make folders in GO" not iOS, and the question was answered.